Electrical outlets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jomcclain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I understand that as a traveler coming from US I will need a power adapter and voltage converter for Bonaire. Can anyone here provide a link to some that would work? I’m concerned about buying the wrong one and frying my electrical devices. Thanks.

Depends on where you stay.
Bonaire - Power Plugs & Sockets: Travel Adapter Needed?
You may find 127V or you may find 220V, or both, but it will all be 50Hz. Whether that matters depends on what you are plugging in.
Check the devices you are taking that need to be plugged in; most today are perfectly happy with any voltage and with 50Hz. Exceptions might be things like hairdryers or other devices with motors; they will run slow at 50Hz instead of the 60Hz they are designed for.
Best bet is to ask whomever you are going to be staying with what outlets they have.

I understand that as a traveler coming from US I will need a power adapter and voltage converter for Bonaire. Can anyone here provide a link to some that would work? I’m concerned about buying the wrong one and frying my electrical devices. Thanks.

What do you intend to plug in?

Hair dryer, batteries for GoPro and dive lights, phones.
As I said before, just look at the chargers for your devices; they will tell you what voltages and frequencies they can handle.
The hair dryer is a problem, it will run slow and hot. Probably better not to use it on the hottest setting.

In many places the number of US style outlets are limited. I take an inexpensive power strip so I have more outlets as I am usually charging a number of items.

You shouldn’t have any issues charging the GoPro batteries. Most 5V USB power adapters are designed to work in outlets that run from 100V to 240V AC at 50-60Hz. Check your dive light charger but probably the same. I’ve only encountered type A and B plugs in Bonaire, but I know type F is also used so that would require an adapter. Hair dryers and electric shavers, etc. are more problematic. That’s why most hotels just have hair dryers in the bathroom. But hey, it’s Bonaire and you should be diving so much that your hair stays wet :wink:

Thank you for the thread. I realize I have gotten complacent, as I don't recall staying anywhere on Bonaire that didn't have a US-style Type A/B plug on at least one outlet, usually in addition to other outlets with the European-style Type F, but this thread reminds me that I shouldn't take it as a given. Better to ask in advance, and/or bring an adapter. A power strip is also a good idea if you find yourself in a room with only one US-style and the rest European, as I recently did. It didn't matter to me, as I don't bring a lot of electrical stuff.

Always travel with a good surge protected power strip w/ fairly long cord. Long time biz traveler and it's my secret power (literally). When we dive travel there are almost always multiple devices to plug in, charge, etc. > 1 still camera, 2 GoPro's, 2 cell phones, 3 laptops (trying to leave the work one home next trip) and rooms can be lacking in outlets. Even stateside, can be tough to find enough power.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom