El Moro needs help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're absolutely correct. However, the intent of the thread was to help support El Moro. Instead it's become a sh1t flinging free for all about how El Moro is in fact a boisterous bar scene. I've never been there but wanted to go in January. I'm just not a fan of noisy bars. Why take a chance? Too many great restaurants in Coz to risk an evening that me and my group won't enjoy.
I don’t believe any of it. It’s all just opinion. You have to find out for yourself. One night it’s one way the next night it’s the other way.

I'm not a Coz regular, and I can't specifically recall El Moro. But my Coz notes say we had dinner there and enjoyed it, so we WILL be back. We have never encountered an annoyingly boisterous group in a Coz restaurant, but if we're fortunate enough to spend enough time in Coz, I'm sure we will eventually. Rather than let myself get annoyed, I will probably think of this thread and order another margarita.

OTOH, if you want a quiet dinner free of obstreperous drunks, frequent another establishment. I will. Just struck El Moro off my list.
Don't do that. I've been there two or three times and never encountered a loud group. Indeed, we were the only large group in the place IIRC, and while there may have been an outburst or two, we were sober and reasonable. I doubt that they get many problem groups. The food is great. It should be on my every trip list except that I don't have a list, too lazy and too cheap to take a cab, but after this ridiculous thread - I will next month.

You're absolutely correct. However, the intent of the thread was to help support El Moro. Instead it's become a sh1t flinging free for all about how El Moro is in fact a boisterous bar scene. I've never been there but wanted to go in January. I'm just not a fan of noisy bars. Why take a chance? Too many great restaurants in Coz to risk an evening that me and my group won't enjoy.
Ah. You've never been there. El Moro is not a bar scene of any sort; it is a small-ish family run restaurant back in a residential part of town. It's true that there are many great restaurants on Cozumel; El Moro is right up there amongst them. If you skip it it's your loss.

I have been there many, many times, and the only time I remember encountering a big noisy group there I was at that table. It was for my mom's 90th birthday party. Ray and the rest of the family went all out to help us celebrate; the old man even came out and danced with my mom to Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On.

There were other customers in the place, and they all joined in with the singing of Happy Birthday and the cheering thereafter. Several total strangers came over and paid their respects to my mom. No one appeared to be inconvenienced.

So, anyway, my advice is to cab it to El Moro on an evening other than a Thursday (they are closed on Thursdays) and have the cab wait while you take a look at the scene. If it is not to your liking get back in the cab and have it take you somewhere else. Chances are it will be fine, and if you eat there you will not regret it.

Ah. You've never been there. El Moro is not a bar scene of any sort; it is a small-ish family run restaurant back in a residential part of town. It's true that there are many great restaurants on Cozumel; El Moro is right up there amongst them. If you skip it it's your loss.

I have been there many, many times, and the only time I remember encountering a big noisy group there I was at that table. It was for my mom's 90th birthday party. Ray and the rest of the family went all out to help us celebrate; the old man even came out and danced with my mom to Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On.

There were other customers in the place, and they all joined in with the singing of Happy Birthday and the cheering thereafter. Several total strangers came over and paid their respects to my mom. No one appeared to be inconvenienced.

So, anyway, my advice is to cab it to El Moro on an evening other than a Thursday (they are closed on Thursdays) and have the cab wait while you take a look at the scene. If it is not to your liking get back in the cab and have it take you somewhere else. Chances are it will be fine, and if you eat there you will not regret it.

I will take you up on that advice and report back!

Completely agree ggunn. Had no idea they were in trouble as we have not been down since 2019 for a number of reasons. I need to text Ray.

I can understand why someone would not be inclined to confront people sitting at another table in a restaurant with a complaint about their behavior; there's no way that it would end well. That said, however, I think that discretion being the better part of valor, it's better just to endure it, move to another table farther away, or leave the restaurant if the disturbance is unbearable rather than make an issue of it. Most of us have been that table at one time or another.
Gordon, When I look through the last 4 pages of responses, I think that it is questionable to assume that a simple, "Hey, you are getting kind of loud." would have resulted in a worse situation than how horn34 handled it. I am concerned about our society when we are afraid to talk about our differences in person and feel the only safe way is to post something nasty online that you probably wouldn't say in person. It is unfortunate that this well-intentioned thread was hijacked by content that doesn't meet this boards standards. My comment was addressed directly to the one who made the post in hopes of having a civil conversation with him or her. I thought of sending a PM and maybe I should have. I'm not a active Scubaboard commenter and probably wouldn't even have known about his comments if someone else hadn't pointed it out. I appreciate your attempts to play the peacemaker and look out for the interests El Moro owners. My wish at this point is that the whole thing could be wiped out and we go back talking about how great El Moro and Rey are and make plans to go back and have more good times.

Gordon, When I look through the last 4 pages of responses, I think that it is questionable to assume that a simple, "Hey, you are getting kind of loud." would have resulted in a worse situation than how horn34 handled it. I am concerned about our society when we are afraid to talk about our differences in person and feel the only safe way is to post something nasty online that you probably wouldn't say in person.
Frankly, I wouldn't do either of those things. Endure, move, or leave is all I would consider, and I have done all three at one time or another.

Confronting someone about their behavior, especially when alcohol is involved, doubly especially in front of their peers, is risky and unlikely to end well IMO.

Fortunately, loud drunken parties are rare there. As has been mentioned, it's a down-home restaurant, not a bar.

Frankly, I wouldn't do either of those things. Endure, move, or leave is all I would consider, and I have done all three at one time or another.

Confronting someone about their behavior, especially when alcohol is involved, doubly especially in front of their peers, is risky and unlikely to end well IMO.
Totally agree on all counts.

If I have to approach someone about their behavior, I can't help but feel as though I'm a parent addressing my recalcitrant children, and I resent needing to address another "adult" as such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom