El Galleon Experience Comparable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronski101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last month we spent 2 weeks at El Galleon Resort on Mindoro isle and enjoyed this Philippine experience enough to want to do it again next year. We would like to get some suggestions from others who have experienced the El Galleon Resort and who have been also to other areas of the Philippines that are comparable or were we just lucky and that is the best place to stay and dive there?

Never stayed at El Galleon but if you are looking for good diving destinationS in the country then there are plenty to choose from. Just to name a few:
Anilao, Bohol, Coron(wrecks), Dumaguete, General Santos, Malapascua and Southern Leyte.
Mind you PG is the only place where the dive boat come back ashore after every dive. The usual practice is two dives in the morning and then home for lunch.
You might have to come back to Philippines every year for the next nth yrs!!

We stayed at El Galleon year ago loved the rooms. We were going to dive with Asia Divers but ended up going else where despite having some good friends working there. PG/Sabang is OK. If you liked it and your not chasing girls here some suggestions ( traveled with my girl). Consider Alona/Balicasag. I've stayed in Both Alona and on the Island and as a two time customer who enjoys quiet, idyllic places with cold beer, Balicasag Island resort is that. It's not ultra high end but its greatall the same cheap to, all diving is within 5 min of the resort! If you stay in Alona you'll trave 30-45 min each way to dive and follow the the boat, the resort drops where they like and drift back where they want, they're 5 min form every where, AWESOME. Malapascua, again 2 time visitor (going back again) is a must, we dived with Evolution can say enough good stuff about them. Again quiet, dive orientated (no girly action at all, if that's what your chasing). But it's all white beaches and coconut trees. Boracay is good for action and things to do and mediocre diving. It's pumping though always stuff to do, very resort orientated. Duamugete (Dauin), Siquijor (excuse the spelling). Liquid in Dauin were great, muck diving great. Siquijour I think is one of the best kept secrets in the Philippines the shallow reefs in the vicinity of Coco Beach Resort are amazing. Hope it helps. El Galleon is one of the higher end places we've stayed, it will depend on whether you want diving or comfort. Let e know and I'll rate where I've been

I stayed at El Galleon in 2011 and was in Malapascua in 2012. Dove with Threasher Shark Divers, excellent operation. Stayed at Angelina Resort, 7-10 minutes walking distance from the dive shop, really high-end, nicely situated. So that is sort of comparable to El Galleon and Asia Divers. What's different - there is less dive sites than in Sabang, but worth going there for threasher sharks and Gato island. Also less crowdy, very pleasant island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom