El Cozumeleno charging $5/night Eco Fee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm shopping for a ticket from Lubbock to Cozumel in August, not having much luck on fares. I could get a round-trip ticket for $561.87, with both countries taking their cuts...
Mexico Tourism Tax Derecho No Inmigrante (UK)
$28.99
US International Departure Tax (US)
$37.20
US September 11th Security Fee (AY)
$11.20
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF)
$13.50
Mexico Airport Departure Tax Tua International (XD)
$38.25
United States APHIS Passenger Fee Passengers (XA)
$3.96
United States Customs User Fee (YC)
$5.77
United States Immigration User Fee (XY)
$7.00

It strikes me as dishonest too, Dandy Dan. But it also doesn't say what the $5 is for does it? Maybe $1.50 is the tax and $3.50 is pooled as a tip jar for the staff.
I was told the desk sign said it was a $5/day Eco Fee.

I'm shopping for a ticket from Lubbock to Cozumel in August, not having much luck on fares. I could get a round-trip ticket for $561.87, with both countries taking their cuts...
Mexico Tourism Tax Derecho No Inmigrante (UK)
$28.99
US International Departure Tax (US)
$37.20
US September 11th Security Fee (AY)
$11.20
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF)
$13.50
Mexico Airport Departure Tax Tua International (XD)
$38.25
United States APHIS Passenger Fee Passengers (XA)
$3.96
United States Customs User Fee (YC)
$5.77
United States Immigration User Fee (XY)
$7.00

I was told the desk sign said it was a $5/day Eco Fee.

Sorry, yes, you did say that earlier. My bad.

Been there.. kinda. Trying to depart Cebu airport, they only accept cash and have no ATM. The hotel took every cent I had and didn't think to ask if I had enough left for the departure tax.

What did you do??

It strikes me as dishonest too, Dandy Dan. But it also doesn't say what the $5 is for does it? Maybe $1.50 is the tax and $3.50 is pooled as a tip jar for the staff.

It's probably a "Resort Fee". I've been stuck with those before booking through hotel room booking sites and failing to read the fine print regarding what the hotel will collect that is NOT included in the total that is shown as including all room tax but excludes those hidden "resort fees" charged upon checking out of the hotel. I should have just walked out of the hotel instead of "checking out" and later disputed the additional charge with my CC company after the hotel would have certainly charged my CC on file anyway.

Dandydon,

Wow that's $145.87 in fees? Is this for one RT ticket?

Yep - and do you notice that the biggest chunk goes to the USA?

I have had RT tickets to Cancun before under $200 and the majority of the cost was taxes, I think the fare was around $95. Someone pointed out to me that one of the reasons airlines are charging separately for luggage is that less of the amount goes toward taxes.

Dandydon,

Wow that's $145.87 in fees? Is this for one RT ticket?
Yep. I know, we don't usually look at the details, but it's like that on every ticket, for everyone, every time.

Yep - and do you notice that the biggest chunk goes to the USA?
I started out to show the huge Mexican departure tax, but then yes - the US gets a huge cut as well.

I have had RT tickets to Cancun before under $200 and the majority of the cost was taxes, I think the fare was around $95. Someone pointed out to me that one of the reasons airlines are charging separately for luggage is that less of the amount goes toward taxes.
Ha! I'd call that a justification at best. They charge for bags because they can, and it makes them big bucks. I have to admit that it's logical that they charge for luggage, but I hate it still. I miss the days that I could check three bags for free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom