Egyptian Pounds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonnet Ray:
Is it possible to get egyptian pounds in the UK or is it like some countries where you can only get the currency in the country?

i've never seen egyptian pounds anywhere else but in egypt.

anyway, i would you want to get your hands on some pounds if you can only spend them there ?
(if this is a stupid question please forgive my naivete...)

Bonnet Ray:
Is it possible to get egyptian pounds in the UK or is it like some countries where you can only get the currency in the country?

When you off then , 4 of us down to hurghada on the 10th September.. looking forward to some excellent diving.. thought i would keep the Egyptian money to the minimum :eyebrow: .. assume you can get it from the main banks, just have to order it well in advance and get a crap exchange rate..

Cheers

jim

mikelegurra:
anyway, i would you want to get your hands on some pounds if you can only spend them there ?
(if this is a stupid question please forgive my naivete...)

We are off to marsa alam and I wanted to get some egytians pounds before we go. I am sure I got some last time before we went out to sharma but my hubby thinks you can only get them in egypt. I don't want to waste a trip to the bank.

Bonnet Ray:
I don't want to waste a trip to the bank.

i believe you can get the money at the airport, on arrival.
some banks keep counters on the international arrivals lounge.

on my first time i did this. i was flying to luxor airport and got the money at one of the airport bank counters.

on my second time i flew to sharm in the middle of the night and the transfer to dahab was waiting. i got the money at a local supermarket, with the same rate as the banks...

If you fly in at Marsa Alam airport you may want to take the Egyptian pounds from at home. The airport is fairly new and may not have a bank in operation yet...
Check the website: http://www.marsa-alam-airport.com/identitymain.html
In Marsa Alam itself it also may be difficult to find a bank, maybe you could change money in your hotel?

By the way, enjoy your stay!

First of all remember you need 15 US $ for the visa (it can be also Euro but then it also costs...15 Euro!!!!). Visa has to be bought at the airport. I would not change money at the airport because - as everywhere - they rate is lower than anywhere else.
First of all you can change money at every hotel - either the reception or the bank that has a counter at the hotel.
Then there are exchange shops in the city. The cash in machines - this is another source of Egyptian pounds.
But - and that's for sure - you can't get them outside of Egypt.
Second thing - my tip with the respect to Egyptian people. If you are going to give them tips (baksheesh) please don't give them coins. They can't exchange coins - so for them such tip is in fact useless. Instead get from your bank couple of 1 US $ bills -that will make them happy.
Mania

When I was there they were very happy to take DM (in 2000 the DM was still being used) or US Dollar. It was explained to me that their own money was so unstable that they preferred foreign currency.

PS: As Mania says, coins are pretty much useless to them...

Mania (or anyone)--

Do you happen to know what ATM/debit cards are accepted at banks in Egypt? Our card is from an American bank -- not an EC card. Ours work on the PLUS system, which I think is associated with VISA.

I know there's a bank at the hotel where we'll be staying (Iberotel Makadi Beach), and at Makadi Center. But which bank is it? If it's Commercial International Bank Egypt, its web site indicates that it might accept PLUS ATM cards, but I'm not certain. I've e-mailed the hotel, but no answer.

The reason I'm asking is because the dive operation charges 3% extra for credit card transactions. We want to be able to buy just enough EGP's to cover what we need, as we need it.

I'd like to know more as far as tips... Nice to know that US$ are still happily accepted; but $1.00, or multiples, seems like a lot for minor services... In the U.S. or Europe, $1.00 per bag carried to the room wouldn't be extravagant, but it may be in Egypt. And how much in EGP is appropriate for common small things? Like, I think someone wrote that 1 EGP was enough to tip a taxi... of if someone serves me a drink by the pool?

Yes, we still have to get together for coffee... but not before this trip, I'm afraid!

--Marek

mania:
First of all remember you need 15 US $ for the visa (it can be also Euro but then it also costs...15 Euro!!!!). Visa has to be bought at the airport. I would not change money at the airport because - as everywhere - they rate is lower than anywhere else.
First of all you can change money at every hotel - either the reception or the bank that has a counter at the hotel.
Then there are exchange shops in the city. The cash in machines - this is another source of Egyptian pounds.
But - and that's for sure - you can't get them outside of Egypt.
Second thing - my tip with the respect to Egyptian people. If you are going to give them tips (baksheesh) please don't give them coins. They can't exchange coins - so for them such tip is in fact useless. Instead get from your bank couple of 1 US $ bills -that will make them happy.
Mania

Marek K:
Mania (or anyone)--

Do you happen to know what ATM/debit cards are accepted at banks in Egypt? Our card is from an American bank -- not an EC card. Ours work on the PLUS system, which I think is associated with VISA.
ATM machines accept only credit cards!!!! No debet cards I'm afraid. The same rule applies to most of the hotels - VISa. AmEx, Master card.
Maestro - doesn't work there.

Marek K:
I know there's a bank at the hotel where we'll be staying (Iberotel Makadi Beach), and at Makadi Center. But which bank is it? If it's Commercial International Bank Egypt, its web site indicates that it might accept PLUS ATM cards, but I'm not certain. I've e-mailed the hotel, but no answer.
Banking system in Egypt is strange for me. Even when you will see the bank counter at the hotel you would not believe it's a bank :wink: So this is the question I can't answer - as I wrote - generally they only accept credi cards.

Marek K:
The reason I'm asking is because the dive operation charges 3% extra for credit card transactions. We want to be able to buy just enough EGP's to cover what we need, as we need it..
Be glad they charge you only 3% - my diving center charges 5%. So I always pay cash for diving!!!! One more tip - most of the centers switched from US $ to Euro. But the rate is 1:1 (once it was 20 US $ for a dive - now it's 20 Euro for a dive). So in fact - especially now it's better to pay in Euro than in dollars - because in dollar it would be more.

Marek K:
I'd like to know more as far as tips... Nice to know that US$ are still happily accepted; but $1.00, or multiples, seems like a lot for minor services... In the U.S. or Europe, $1.00 per bag carried to the room wouldn't be extravagant, but it may be in Egypt. And how much in EGP is appropriate for common small things? Like, I think someone wrote that 1 EGP was enough to tip a taxi... of if someone serves me a drink by the pool?..
I wrote about 1 US $ bills mainly for the beginning - when you don't have Egyptian pounds. Also if you want a trolley at the airport they sometimes want 2 US$. Tell them that 1 dollar is all you have and take the trolley. Later 1 - 2 pounds is enough.(1 US $ = 6 Egyptian pounds more or less) But if someone is really good you can tip him with dollars.

Marek K:
Yes, we still have to get together for coffee... but not before this trip, I'm afraid!
--Marek
I know - after all you are going there on Thursday, don't you? Have fun, enjoy it, remember about Antinal I wrote before (the medicine) or trade Antinal for a bottle of vodka (also works :wink: ).
Mania

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom