Effect On Saltwater On Exposed Brass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MARK1992

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently dropped my DIN-to-Yoke adaptor, gouging the metal quite badly. Yellowish gold metal showing (It's a DGX adaptor) so I'm assuming it's brass. Any cause for concern regarding reliability and any ill-effects on saltwater on exposed brass?

It's unlikely you did any structural damage (hard to be 100% sure with no photos or other damage details) but the brass will want to turn green and look a bit icky upon repeated seawater exposure. The odds are high it will just be a small cosmetic annoyance and not impact functionality.

Thank you for your reply. It's just a gouge on the outside edge near where the DIN first stage screws in. I'm guessing it'll not impact structural integrity.

The scar will develop a beautiful green patina that will protect the underlying metal.

you can always take a dremel and a dab of polishing rouge and polish to high luster shine on the scar, water will then run off instead of hanging out in the scratches of the gouge. high polished brass lasts longer than molded or machined brass before a touch up is needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom