Eel bites man's thumb off...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never understood people who think it is cute to feed or pet morays. Years ago I saw a woman hunting for cowrys nearly have her hand taken off by a small pink young moray. She needed almost 200 stitches to hold what was left of her hand back together. I give them a wide berth. if you want to pet or feed them, be my guest. Next I suggest you try playing with a grizzly sow's cubs....

Eels are very near sighted and work off of movement and smell! I won't hand feed one, but if someone else wants to be my guest!

600_P8230639_Black_Grouper_Green_Mora_8-05_BIBR.jpg

Did that happen at East of Eden, in the Similan Islands?

Yes. The guy was working on a liveaboard boat with his ex girlfriend as videographer. It is his ex-girlfriend who shoot the video.

The eel is famous for that divesite and is in fact still there. I have sadly heard that some divers started to feed it again last season. Let's hope that practice has stopped now so no more thumbs get lost.

I love seeing eel while diving, however, I look from a distance. I've never felt threatened, but then again, I've never gotten close enough for the eel to feel threatened.

Yes. The guy was working on a liveaboard boat with his ex girlfriend as videographer. It is his ex-girlfriend who shoot the video.

The eel is famous for that divesite and is in fact still there. I have sadly heard that some divers started to feed it again last season. Let's hope that practice has stopped now so no more thumbs get lost.

Regrettably, the eel should have gone for the guys nuts. At least the girlfriend had sense enough to drop him and avoid degrading the gene pool any further.

seriously though, I've seen people baiting eels with their fingers (usually wolf eels) one of those individuals being someone who has had over 1k dives over 30 years. Is he lucky or are there just species of eels you don't mess with?

can one use some kind of metal mesh glove for protection during these encounters?

"leave only bubbles.." not appendages!!! Don't tickle the predators unless your gonna feed them your flesh! duh...

LOL

what a dumbass!!:rofl3:

This says it all folks. This person is indeed a dumbass and a future candidate for the Darwin Awards (if nothing else I am sure they will get honourable mention). I am with you Cindy....dumbass. :rofl3:

We have a guy in our area who lost his finger molesting a puffer fish! There's an old video on it in the archives and an article he wrote bragging about it. Luckily, his kevlar glove was unharmed in the mishap, and the puffer fish suffered no ill effects from bad food.

Back
Top Bottom