Educate me on my fins.....................................

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeinla

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to Cozumel next month. These are all of my fins. Am I really going going to be able to tell the difference between them while diving???? I usually only do two warm water diving vacations each year so I do not dive on a regular basis. Which set should I take???

Attachments

• IMG_0418.jpg
    IMG_0418.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 582
They are all your fins, so you would know best if you would be able to tell the difference.

yes-no-yes-yes.

I would avoid fins that share design similarities with this prototype spoon.split spoon.jpg

I suppose the dive conditions/area would be useful info too? Thus far in my short diving career, I have only dove with fins that look like #4, so I can't be of much use for the rest of them.

Most of the dives in Cozumel are drift dives. You are buddied up and follow a guide. Some areas have pretty decent current and you sometimes need to swim against the current if you stop to look at something. Personally, I would avoid the split fins in this type of diving.

The Cressi master frogs( your last fins in the pic I think) are decent fins for current, though if you really want the ideal fins for current, get a pair of freediving fins....if you are a cyclist that rides 15 miles or more per day, 3 or more days per week, you can go with a competition flex stiffness freedive fin...if you are not, then your first pair of freedive fins should be the Cressi Gara 3000 KD ( LD for long Duration, meaning soft enough for a freediver to use for an 8 hour contest---meaning a scuba diver new to fins which can use more muscle power if desired, is safer with these). With freedive fins, you use a large amplitude and slow frequency kick. You can do a huge frog kick with an enormous glide between kicks, and this is great to alternate with the wide amplitude flutter. If you want a freedive fin that will be closer to competition level flex patterns, try the new Cressi Professional. If you are seriously fit, and want the Lamborghini Galardo of Freedive Fins, that is the DiveR Freedive fins, best choice is probably the blue stiffness. These are high tech composites, that feel like whatever you push, they return even more as the blade unflexes at the end of the kick stroke...and they are good for helicopter turns, and even allow a reverse kick--although you would not want to reverse kick for more than a few minutes with them, as they have so much leverage that your shin muscles can't really handle this for long time.

In cozumel, or in Palm beach, where drift currents are normal, freedive fins allow a scuba diver to increase thier speed against current ( when needed), or when going sideways or 45 degrees to the current.
The differences are amazing, and in places like Palm Beach, you find a large percentage of the Dive Masters on the boats that cater to advanced divers( real advanced ones, not divers that just own the crd) are using freedive fins on the charter boats, as they provide better power and speed to help customers with, or to drag the float with in heavy currents, when you need to go someplace the current does not go toward:)
In operations like Pura Vida or Narcosis( boats in Palm Beach that cater to many advanced divers in extreme current areas), their DM's are known for using freedive fins, along with many of the regular customers :)

You pack freedive fins in a large suitcase, diagonally, and then have the rest of your clothes in their with them. Freedive stores, either online or brick and mortar, sell awesome dive bags for use on dive boats, that are long enough to be ideal to place freedive fins in, along with bc and all other gear.. I use a Rob Allen bag.

The Cressi master frogs( your last fins in the pic I think) are decent fins for current, though if you really want the ideal fins for current, get a pair of freediving fins....if you are a cyclist that rides 15 miles or more per day, 3 or more days per week, you can go with a competition flex stiffness freedive fin...if you are not, then your first pair of freedive fins should be the Cressi Gara 3000 KD ( LD for long Duration, meaning soft enough for a freediver to use for an 8 hour contest---meaning a scuba diver new to fins which can use more muscle power if desired, is safer with these). With freedive fins, you use a large amplitude and slow frequency kick. You can do a huge frog kick with an enormous glide between kicks, and this is great to alternate with the wide amplitude flutter. If you want a freedive fin that will be closer to competition level flex patterns, try the new Cressi Professional. If you are seriously fit, and want the Lamborghini Galardo of Freedive Fins, that is the DiveR Freedive fins, best choice is probably the blue stiffness. These are high tech composites, that feel like whatever you push, they return even more as the blade unflexes at the end of the kick stroke...and they are good for helicopter turns, and even allow a reverse kick--although you would not want to reverse kick for more than a few minutes with them, as they have so much leverage that your shin muscles can't really handle this for long time.

In cozumel, or in Palm beach, where drift currents are normal, freedive fins allow a scuba diver to increase thier speed against current ( when needed), or when going sideways or 45 degrees to the current.
The differences are amazing, and in places like Palm Beach, you find a large percentage of the Dive Masters on the boats that cater to advanced divers( real advanced ones, not divers that just own the crd) are using freedive fins on the charter boats, as they provide better power and speed to help customers with, or to drag the float with in heavy currents, when you need to go someplace the current does not go toward:)
In operations like Pura Vida or Narcosis( boats in Palm Beach that cater to many advanced divers in extreme current areas), their DM's are known for using freedive fins, along with many of the regular customers :)

You pack freedive fins in a large suitcase, diagonally, and then have the rest of your clothes in their with them. Freedive stores, either online or brick and mortar, sell awesome dive bags for use on dive boats, that are long enough to be ideal to place freedive fins in, along with bc and all other gear.. I use a Rob Allen bag.

I would rather not buy ANOTHER pair of fins as I have four pair already. After Cozumel I arrive home for two weeks and then I am going to Grand Bahamas where I would not need freediver fins. I have not dove enough to be able to tell any diffrence in the fins that I currently own.

To be honest with you, I doubt you will be able to tell much, if any difference at all, in any of the four pair you have. Go with the ones that are the most comfortable to you if you can even tell that.

I have multiple pairs of fins, including those identical to your last three as shown. Your size and fitness is a factor as is comfort. The blades are a fairly stiff but narrow fin that will serve you well. The Cressi is black and I like black fins. My Cressi fins are actually larger in surface area than my blades ( size or model issue) and I usually just use them for training because I may have to tow someone, and they give a lot of power but that means cramping is possible. So I prefer my split fins on vacation trips, but mine are larger in area than yours. It's a personal choice. If you have to pick one, I vote for the blades.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom