Edge bcd/hog wing recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
18 Oct 2010
EDGE Dive Gear, selling scuba Products under the brands EDGE and HOG (Highly Optimized Gear) today received an EDGE Freedom Buoyancy Compensator returned to a dealer with a complaint of a broken spring in the Over Pressurization Valve (OPV). This is the first report of this issue brought to the attention of EDGE Dive gear and no injuries have been reported. Upon inspection of the unit involved and other used EDGE and HOG products utilizing the same OPV design it has been determined that the springs in the OPV exhibit an unacceptable amount of corrosion. Diver Safety is our primary concern, thus we are taking fast and decisive action.
In cooperation with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, EDGE Gear is issuing a voluntary recall on all EDGE FREEDOM BCD’s, Some EDGE STEALTH 2 BCD’s (units with red weight release handles for weight pockets are NOT involved), HOG 32lb Single Tank wings identified as “Made in China’ and all EDGE 32, 38 and 58lb wings.
IMMEDIATELY CEASE USE OF THE IDENTIFIED PRODUCTS AND RETURN THE PRODUCT TO AN AUTORIZED EDGE DEALER OR EDGE FOR SPRING OPV REPLACEMENT.
For more information, please contact EDGE at (404)579-7631

Wow. And I just bought a 32lb HOG wing from someone 2nd hand.

I don't have a HOG dealer near me that I could access in a reasonable amount of time before my next dive; would it be possible to just provide proof of ownership (such as a photo since I don't have a receipt) and have a set of OPV springs mailed to me such that I can make the switch myself?

Were you using the same springs recalled by Halcyon and a few other manufacturers?

No, different source. It seems the spring supplier switched to a lower grade than we spec.

Wow. And I just bought a 32lb HOG wing from someone 2nd hand.

I don't have a HOG dealer near me that I could access in a reasonable amount of time before my next dive; would it be possible to just provide proof of ownership (such as a photo since I don't have a receipt) and have a set of OPV springs mailed to me such that I can make the switch myself?

You wont need proof of purchase to get the new spring. A picture will do fine.

18 Oct 2010
IMMEDIATELY CEASE USE OF THE IDENTIFIED PRODUCTS AND RETURN THE PRODUCT TO AN AUTORIZED EDGE DEALER OR EDGE FOR SPRING OPV REPLACEMENT.
For more information, please contact EDGE at (404)579-7631

Is there an authorized EDGE DEALER in Canada (Toronto in particular), where I can get the spring changed?
If not, is it possible to mail the spring directly to me, so I can mount it myself?
I recently (July/2010) bought a 32lb HOG wing through Dive Right in Scuba and had it shipped to Canada.
What are my options of getting this looked after?

Thank you!

Tzetzo

Is there an authorized EDGE DEALER in Canada (Toronto in particular), where I can get the spring changed?
If not, is it possible to mail the spring directly to me, so I can mount it myself?
I recently (July/2010) bought a 32lb HOG wing through Dive Right in Scuba and had it shipped to Canada.
What are my options of getting this looked after?

Thank you!

Tzetzo

Not in TO proper, Just outside in Oshawa I do.

If you are comfortable with changing the springs I can send the m to you (when they actually arrive)

I expect to have springs within 10 days.

Best,

Chris

^ Now that is the type of customer service I like to see in a manufacturer. Good job on keeping the repair simple for the customers that are comfortable replacing a spring.

For those using HOG wings you can inspect your spring that is there now to determine if it is safe to use. Rust on it means keep it on dry land. The manufacturer can not say that, and instead should stand by stop using it immediately.

thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom