Eddy or RK3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kieterkat

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My eyes are crossed from reading so much! I have atomic split fins in pink, and I HATE that I can’t frog kick.

I’m a new diver (8 or 9 dives, just open water cert, but going for advanced ASAP). I will never be a tech diver.

All of that said, what would be a good fun for me to frog kick with diving in the Gulf or Caribbean mostly? I hate the orange for the eddy, as my gear is all black, white, and pink and I like to match, but eddy in my size is sold out. RK3 pink are dreamy. White is next choice.

I’m a womens 9 booty (street 8.5-9 women’s US) standard from the dive shop aqualungs. Sizing help?!

My eyes are crossed from reading so much! I have atomic split fins in pink, and I HATE that I can’t frog kick.

I’m a new diver (8 or 9 dives, just open water cert, but going for advanced ASAP). I will never be a tech diver.

All of that said, what would be a good fun for me to frog kick with diving in the Gulf or Caribbean mostly? I hate the orange for the eddy, as my gear is all black, white, and pink and I like to match, but eddy in my size is sold out. RK3 pink are dreamy. White is next choice.

I’m a womens 9 booty (street 8.5-9 women’s US) standard from the dive shop aqualungs. Sizing help?!

Attachments

• CAD7D179-29A1-4DE8-B011-622A8803F1FA.jpeg
    CAD7D179-29A1-4DE8-B011-622A8803F1FA.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 183
I started out with the Atomic "Smoke on the Water" splits and I was actually surprised that they worked OK for frog kicking. The Smoke, Red, Pink, and Purple versions are all the same "Lightweight High Energy Compound" (Yellow, Blue, Royal Blue, and Silver are "Standard Power Compound.") You should get the same performance as my smokes. That said, they really aren't designed frog kicking. Due to my own footwear-size evolution and now my son outgrowing them, I've retired them and they will be moved to the sale pile.

Here is an active thread on fin selection: Fin selection

I would add a couple of others to the "possible" lineup that seem to have similar characteristics to the Eddys and maybe pros/cons for you:

- OMS Slipstream: I'm switching from the Slipstreams due to new larger rigid-soled boots - and trying the Eddys due to great Black Friday price and rep, but I was very happy with the Slipstreams and they will be my son's going forward.
- Scubapro Go-Sport (color choice being a "Pro") https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/scubapro-go-sport.580040/ This would be my alternate choice if I hadn't gone with the Eddys and I may actually end up with a pair as they are supposedly positively buoyant and may help my chronic foot-heaviness when diving wet.

For travel, I have a pair of Force-Fin Pros which are super-compact and light, but are not for frog ...

the rk3 non-HD is not as stiff as the eddy. if you want a stiff fin, then go with the eddy. the scubapro go sport is the other option if you want color, and felt a little stiffer than the rk3, but again not as stiff as the eddy

Orange is the new pink? The Eddy fins are great for frog kicking and the other precise positioning kicks you'll learn down the line, and the foot pocket is very comfortable. Looking at the web site, though, it appears that the S/Ms are out of stock in all colors, so the question is moot at this point. Dive Gear Express has the Slipstreams in M, which are very similar. They're black.

Have you reached out to Deep6 about the Eddy colors? I dive a pair of black Eddies, and on their website just now, I see orange and light blue, and at the photo atop that I see black, white and what looks like orangey yellow.

Maybe they've got a pair of a color you'd like laying around, or expect to get some soon?

if you're stuck on the eddy's give Cave Adventures a call. They had my XL blacks laying around as a demo. Great service and I will def be going back to them, when applicable.

I have a set of deep six eddys, and also hollis f1s, diverite xts, mares avanti quattro plus, i can tell you they are all retired and i only use the eddys.

Me & my wife both use eddys now and we both love them. they are without a doubt the best, the best foot pocket, the best propulsion, regardless of kick style. You can't go wrong with them. We managed to get ours in the UK on ebay for £50 a set which was a bargain, and ours came before they put the little hole for carrying them which we were glad, as it seems stupid to me to put a hole in the end of the fins when they can be easily carried using the spring strap tabs

I started with the Atomic splits (don't kill me) and I currently dive Eddy fins or UTD Precision fins. I find the UTD fins to give you a little better precision when it comes to really fine movements. The Eddy fins will do all kicks and movements you will ever need and have the best foot pocket on the market. Plus, orange is great in water for being seen.

I did a Youtube review on my Eddy fins when I was a baby diver. I now have over 250 dives on them and still LOVE them. Watching the review again I say they are a bit floppy in the tips. I no longer feel this to be true after trying RK3s which are insanely floppy. Oh and I never did tighten that screw and it is still in the fin.

I have the RK3 (non HD) as my second set of fins to my Dive Rite XT

I'm more than happy with my RK as an all rounder. They're easy to slip on and off, light, float and I can accurately use them for positioning kicks I would argue, that for a new or irregular diver to stay away from stiff fins at first, since you need to build up to them stamina and technique etc

I took them to Komodo because I was nursing an old ankle injury and didn't want to risk inflaming it with hard workouts on the XT's.

Yes, heading into hard stiff current I found their limit. I could see their deflection on video (in contrast for my friends Jets) Certainly it would have been better to have my XT's then. BUt - this was kinda extreme current we were kicking into often. To be far in this example fins were only 30% of the equation, finning technique, experience and stamina were the main factors I've not tried the Eddy's but I can't imagine there's much difference in general

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom