Eddy or RK3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with the Orange Eddy's and love them. Someone else has commented that you should reach out to Deep 6 as they often will have other colours available - a colleague of mine got white. The thing I love about them is that they're firm, but not as firm as a Jetfin, but they slightly positively buoyant too. From what I've seen, the RK3's are a very very similar fin (slightly different foot pocket shape), but based on the people we've had come through the shop with them - they like them. All of the jetfin style fins will put a lot more pressure on your lower leg muscles than splits - so you'll notice the difference.

That said, I dived splits for almost a decade. You can comfortably frog kick in them, and back fin too, so don't have anyone tell you that the issues with frog kicking are the fin. For a new diver the frog kick technique can be challenging as its using a muscle group that is not commonly used and is different even from swimming breast stroke - so give it some more time and get the technique before contemplating switching. Jet styke fins (like the Eddy and RK3 are awful at flutter (IMHO), so you might find if it is technique thats the issue, you'll really hate either of these two fin types.

I'm a newer diver too and mostly in Caribbean. My first pair of fins were good for flutter but I couldn't do a frog kick. There are lots of threads on this board about fins and after reading many of them I got the Mares Avanti Quattro Plus open heal fins. No pink but black or white is available. I've found them to be good for flutter and frog. I mostly frog kick now but it is nice to be able to flutter easily when I want. The Avanti Quattro + are ok for helicopter turns but I've yet to master the reverse kick (pretty sure it's operator error). I've never tried Eddy, RK3 or fins of that style so I can speak to them. One other thing to consider is type of boot you'll need for the fin to have a good fit. I like the low cut booties and don't need a thick sole for the type of diving I do.

I got the Mares Avanti Quattro Plus open heal fins.

The Avanti have been the best selling fin in diving for... I dunno... more than 25 years! They're awesome for what they do and what they cost and they are the backbone of almost every dive pro's kit locker at some stage. I'm one of those people who maintain that, for their pricepoints, Mares make the best fins on the market, and I dove with Raptor splits for eons.

Why don't I dive with Mares now? Orange is the new black, baby! :wink:

I have the eddys, a set of hollis f1 fins, and diverite xts

Eddys are the best fin, most comfortable, best all rounder, easier to transport and fit into my gear box

get the eddys you wont be disappointed

My eyes are crossed from reading so much! I have atomic split fins in pink, and I HATE that I can’t frog kick.

I’m a new diver (8 or 9 dives, just open water cert, but going for advanced ASAP). I will never be a tech diver.

All of that said, what would be a good fun for me to frog kick with diving in the Gulf or Caribbean mostly? I hate the orange for the eddy, as my gear is all black, white, and pink and I like to match, but eddy in my size is sold out. RK3 pink are dreamy. White is next choice.

I’m a womens 9 booty (street 8.5-9 women’s US) standard from the dive shop aqualungs. Sizing help?!
we will have sm medium in white in stock next week sometime it looks like.. I had expected this week.. but with covid shipping is a little slower than normal

I have a set of deep six eddys, and also hollis f1s, diverite xts, mares avanti quattro plus, i can tell you they are all retired and i only use the eddys.

Me & my wife both use eddys now and we both love them. they are without a doubt the best, the best foot pocket, the best propulsion, regardless of kick style. You can't go wrong with them. We managed to get ours in the UK on ebay for £50 a set which was a bargain, and ours came before they put the little hole for carrying them which we were glad, as it seems stupid to me to put a hole in the end of the fins when they can be easily carried using the spring strap tabs
if you are taking the fins and clipping them to your body while still in the water by the spring straps the pockets take time to drain, the other way is faster, it is also much easier and less bulky doing at fin tips than spring strap. Sorry you don't like the holes.

Back
Top Bottom