Economy Lodging in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update. I'm leaving tomorrow for the trip!! We are going to stay at Ed and Ellen's for $99 per night for 4 people.

Hey Tom, i checked the Marriott's web site and couldn't find anything cheaper that $160/night off-season. https://marriott.com/reservation/rateListMenu.mi

How did you get $99/night?

Tom Winters:
I'll tell you one thing - if you're diving in the upper Keys and remotely thinking about staying in Florida City to save money, look at all the crosses alongside both roads between Florida City and Key Largo.
The US 1 stretch particularly is the Highway of Death since it has a heavier volume than the Card Sound Road alternate route - it's not that long, but it is lethal. People speed, it's mostly one lane each way except for the few passing Speed Zones of Insanity, and more than a few of them are drunk as well. The head-ons are truely spectacular with combined impacts reaching 200mph when the boys are really cruising hard. If you think I'm exagerrating, just stop off at Troop E of the Florida Highway Patrol on the Turnpike south of Miami and they will graciously enlighten you
The other thing is that the best thing about Florida City is that if you are lucky, you can make it all the through without having to stop. You can always visit Wal-Mart there at night, or maybe wash your car, but that's about it.
Use Hotwire or Priceline if you can to get a room deal - do not do that idiotic commute to save money - it is not worth it. Last year, I stayed at the Marriott in Key Largo for $99 a night - 4 stars baby...

Cheap rooms but nice are in FLorida City Comfort Inn. Ask for the dive shop rate.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom