Economy Lodging in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vel525:
Thanks for the input guys. I will post a follow up on what I find.

Another cheap option is to stay in Florida City (just north of Key Largo). The Comfort Inn there is cheap. From there it's about a 20 minute drive to Key Largo. Obviously not as convenient as Key Largo but probably quite a bit cheaper.

vel525:
Hey guys,

Me and my buddies are planning a trip down to Key Largo the first weekend of April. I found some great information on dive operators, but I am having some trouble finding some cheaper lodging. I was hoping to find a small mom and pop motel somewhere for under $70 a night. A few years ago I found a place in Marathon for $45/night, is it possible to find similar rates in Key Largo? Thanks for your help.

Victor

First, if it's you AND your buddies, double up on the rooms, and then it get's cheap quick. Two queens, $125 a night split four ways is CHEAP!! As a family man, I MISS those days where we could split a room three or four ways. I still split the room three ways, but I PAY for the entire thing :11:

I've been trying to decide on how long I want to spend in the Keys when we go down in June, and the week option is appealing from a pricing standpoint. There are places to be found in the $450 range for a seven night stay, and most of those include kitchens, and a bedroom.

Good Luck...

debersole:
Another cheap option is to stay in Florida City (just north of Key Largo).
I'll tell you one thing - if you're diving in the upper Keys and remotely thinking about staying in Florida City to save money, look at all the crosses alongside both roads between Florida City and Key Largo.
The US 1 stretch particularly is the Highway of Death since it has a heavier volume than the Card Sound Road alternate route - it's not that long, but it is lethal. People speed, it's mostly one lane each way except for the few passing Speed Zones of Insanity, and more than a few of them are drunk as well. The head-ons are truely spectacular with combined impacts reaching 200mph when the boys are really cruising hard. If you think I'm exagerrating, just stop off at Troop E of the Florida Highway Patrol on the Turnpike south of Miami and they will graciously enlighten you
The other thing is that the best thing about Florida City is that if you are lucky, you can make it all the through without having to stop. You can always visit Wal-Mart there at night, or maybe wash your car, but that's about it.
Use Hotwire or Priceline if you can to get a room deal - do not do that idiotic commute to save money - it is not worth it. Last year, I stayed at the Marriott in Key Largo for $99 a night - 4 stars baby...

we stayed at TAVERNIER HOTEL for 6 nights 7 day for just over $200. They offered a weekly rate. Not exactly diver friendly (no where to hang up wet gear, and long walk inside) but our budget was tight enough to over look a few incoviences.

vel525:
Hey guys,

Me and my buddies are planning a trip down to Key Largo the first weekend of April. I found some great information on dive operators, but I am having some trouble finding some cheaper lodging. I was hoping to find a small mom and pop motel somewhere for under $70 a night. A few years ago I found a place in Marathon for $45/night, is it possible to find similar rates in Key Largo? Thanks for your help.

Victor
Are you still looking for a inexpensive place to stay in Key Largo?
If so...I just booked a room at Neptune's Hideaway for $65 per nite for the second week of April, older hotel in Key Largo at MM 104.5 Bayside/Gulf. Check them out.

www.neptuneshideaway.com

My wife and I stayed at the Neptune's Hideaway in November of 02 for $45 per night (2 night minimum) Last year, my buddy Big Sage stayed there in April and loved the place. Their rates vary, so check out www.neptuneshideaway.com. It's a nice place

We stayed at Neptune's Hideaway, it was a small mom and pop place right after you get into Key Largo. It wasnt bad, clean and SMALL rooms. Also Ed and Ellens is a pretty quiet place to stay too. If you dont have to stay in Key Largo, Florida City has some pretty reasonable rates provided you dont mind the drive down. If you stay there make sure you leave early enough to get down. If you like getting to the boat just before it leaves, it might leave without you. Weekend traffic gets bumper to bumper crawling on the weekends.

Blueii

Victor[/QUOTE]

Orlando Eric:
I just stayed at Jules Undersea and it was $99.00 I did not haggle to get the $80.00 rate as I was too tired and the $11.00 was not worth it.
QUOTE]

Is this Florida math? :D

If you are looking for CHEAP rates and NO FRILLS, try Ed & Ellens. www.ed-ellens-lodgings.com This is a true "mom & pop" place. It is at 103mm and is in between many dive outlets. During "low season" it is $49 a night. On Holiday weekends it is $100 a night. They only have 5 rooms. 3 with 2 queen beds & 2 with 3 single beds. Rooms have TV, window A/C and a bathroom. That's about it. (No Pool, no phone in room.) I stay there 3 or 4 times a year when I go to Key Largo by myself or with guys from the dive club. It is perfectly satisfactory for that. However, I don't see my wife enjoying it there. A little too "basic" for her tastes.

For diving, you might try SILENT WORLD, which is across the street from Ed & Ellen's at the 103mm. Their dock is at 106mm. Rick & Janet run the shop. He is kind of "dry" but Janet has personality + to make up for it! They run 2 30' Island Hoppers. They have a 5 trip package for $179 ($202 with taxes) and it includes tanks & weights.

Mike

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom