Economical, short scuba trips to S. Florida or Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt,

Sounds like you have lots of advice and are making a good plan. But, I read somewhere in the thread that Puerto Rico isn't a real dive destination or some such quote. I have been living and diving down here for about 7 years. I agree it isn't a dive mecca like Bonaire or Cozumel, but the diving is very good most of the year, and I believe that for long weekends PR would be good for you.

-La Parguerra/Guanica - SW PR. The Wall. Many miles of great wall diving. highly recommend Island Scuba www.sanjuandiver.com. 2 hour drive from SJU
-Rincon/Mayaguez/Aguadilla - Fantastic diving when you can get out to Desecheo. Good diving elswhere. Taino Divers 2.5 hours from SJU
-I hear there is good diving up in NW by Isabella, but I haven't been up there yet. We'll make it someday.
-Culebra - Wonderful Diving - Culebra Divers... very friendly group. 20 minute flight from SJU
-Vieques - Great Diving - Vieques Dive Company. that's my company btw. I can't say we're the friendliest dive company in the world because SCUBA in St. Croix holds that title...But we do pretty good down here. 20 min flight from SJU

I say you should check out all these locations...not bad at all.

fitz
www.viequesdivers.com

I have always heard that the Mona Passage is an awesome dive, unlike anywhere else on earth....something for Advanced divers only, and this DOES NOT mean someone who took AOW :)
This is a real Adventure Dive !

But hey, my thing is introducing Palm Beach to people, not Puerto Rico :)

I have always heard that the Mona Passage is an awesome dive, unlike anywhere else on earth....something for Advanced divers only, and this DOES NOT mean someone who took AOW :)
This is a real Adventure Dive !

But hey, my thing is introducing Palm Beach to people, not Puerto Rico :)

Dan you are absolutely right - Mona Island is amazing diving - my first liveaboard was there - but it's not seas of glass. Although I was used to current and decent waves from on and off years of recreational NC wreck diving, I'd been away for a while and it took a dive or two to adjust to the "big boy/girl" diving off Mona & Monita. It may have had to do with the time of year (December is typically more active) but we definitely had fun with the currents and waves. One dive ended up with all but a couple of dive teams picked up by the skiff, and the furthest was a mile from the boat.

And I also second the recommendation for W Palm/Jupiter/BHB... I need to make another trip! I personally would go to that area of S FL over any other area in the Caribbean I can think of (excluding cave destinations). It's got it all - large pelagics, macro, wrecks, reefs, you name it, it's there. Plus easy flights in and out.

I agree 100% with your assesment of Isla Mona :). But I don't think this would be a good "weekend trip" for Dr. Matt.

I can say that I have never been up to Palm Beach area. My wife and another friend will be looking for IDC location in the summer. I will obviously need some entertaining diving while they are learning! I think I'll look for some threads for that area.

Fitz
www.viequesdivers.com

I agree 100% with your assesment of Isla Mona :). But I don't think this would be a good "weekend trip" for Dr. Matt.

I can say that I have never been up to Palm Beach area. My wife and another friend will be looking for IDC location in the summer. I will obviously need some entertaining diving while they are learning! I think I'll look for some threads for that area.

Fitz
www.viequesdivers.com

Fitz, some day I will ask you for info on best options for diving the Mona Passage :) ......

For now, for your wife and friend, I would recommend the IDC at Pura Vida Divers in Palm Beach...INSTRUCTOR :: Pura Vida Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom