Economical, short scuba trips to S. Florida or Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I just spoke with a very nice fellow at Pura Vida. Looks like that's my best bet for a dive op there. There are just 2 factors which argue against this destination: Pura Vida shop is not right near their boat, so I'd need to either rent a car to get to the boat or bum a ride with them from the shop to the boat. They said we could work something out. (I'm spoiled after the experience at Sunset House on Grand Cayman, where the hotel, dive shop and boats are all right there in the same place.) The other thing is that the water temp there right now is 70 degrees, which is a bit chilly. I'd like to do a dive trip in late March. Perhaps if I put a 3-mill shorty on top of my 3-mill suit, it'll be adequate. But all in all this sounds pretty good. SW Air has a direct flight to West Palm from Baltimore, and there are several hotels near the dive shop.
If you stay at the hilton, the conceirge will run you over...they do this for all divers that do not want rental cars. The Hilton is about 700 yards from the Pura Vida dive shop.

Pura Vida has full suits they would let you use for your trip, for low rental rate. 5 mil would keep you comfortable. My 3 mil with hood works for me..the hood is a big deal.
When you compare "diving" from Sunset House, just remember that in Cayman there is almost no life swimming around. It is an "attractive underwater desert". If you watched the youtube video on my post, you know Palm Beach is more the underwater, tropical rainforest with more life than yoy can keep track of :)

Yes, I may just return to Sunset House.
For something a little different try Cobalt Coast on the north side. They're east around NW Point so will do different dives than Sunset House. It's an AI and they include r/t airport tranportation in their dive packages. I think they only include 2 boat dives daily but you can shore dive there, at their other location nearby at Lighthouse Point (they have a shuttle) and at Turtle Reef between the two. Also a Cayman public bus picks up there - I think it's every 1/2 hr. - if you wanted to go to SMB or Georgetown one day. Downside of CC is that it's pretty far north and in a semi-isolated residential area. Too quiet for me...

IDK anything about it but what about Bermuda? Should be a fairly short flight (I'd guess)

I am a certified diver and travel agent and would love to help with your planning. I think the Key Largo suggestions have merit based on your schedule limitations, although the cost increases since you are doing boat diving, and not great shore options, but I love John Pennecamp state park . . .it is just is awesome! Key Largo is only only bout an hour from Miami, and hour an half from FLL depending on traffic. For more information on the state park - See John Pennenkamp Coral Reef State Park If you can milk a 5 day trip out of your schedule, I would suggest Turks and Caicos in addition to great boat diving they have lots of shore snorkeling and diving opportunities. I know some divers don't like snorkeling as much, but for me it means unlimited time in the water, so I like to do that a lot between dives. Plus you will find some real unique opportunities - -swimming in close proximity to humpback whales (JAN- APRIL). Bahamas also offer some good deals and nice diving options. If you would like additional information, give me a shout! Kerry

Well, I finally got my banker (wife, in other words) to approve another trip to Sunset House on Grand Cayman, where I will stay for 4 nights, and do my rescue diver certification. I'll probably go to West Palm Beach during warmer months. I will also look at all the other suggestions made in response to my OP. All input greatly appreciated!

Does your banker dive? Getting her addicted will make the financing process MUCH easier...

Well, I finally got my banker (wife, in other words) to approve another trip to Sunset House on Grand Cayman, where I will stay for 4 nights, and do my rescue diver certification. I'll probably go to West Palm Beach during warmer months. I will also look at all the other suggestions made in response to my OP. All input greatly appreciated!

Just found out from Rainbow Reef in Key Largo that the minimum divers is 4, and their smallest boat seats 6 so you're almost guaranteed to dive if you go on the weekend. March is spring break month so that should help. Also I went in Oct and dove Fri through Mon and there were enough diver for 2 boats to go out in the morning, and 1 in the afternoon which was there normal schedule. Water temp is around 74 now, and it was 84 in Oct. Also if you're going alone, check with some dive shops around your area, and out of town. Maybe you can catch them on one of their trips I know you'll be unfamiliar with the other divers so just a suggestion.

good luck Matt. Keeps us posted how it all works out. congratulations on going to sunset house again--jealous

Rainbow Reef in key largo is great. Key Largo is great for dining and lodging. Also try West Palm Beach!

I will also look at all the other suggestions made in response to my OP. All input greatly appreciated!

Matt,

Sounds like you have lots of advice and are making a good plan. But, I read somewhere in the thread that Puerto Rico isn't a real dive destination or some such quote. I have been living and diving down here for about 7 years. I agree it isn't a dive mecca like Bonaire or Cozumel, but the diving is very good most of the year, and I believe that for long weekends PR would be good for you.

-La Parguerra/Guanica - SW PR. The Wall. Many miles of great wall diving. highly recommend Island Scuba www.sanjuandiver.com. 2 hour drive from SJU
-Rincon/Mayaguez/Aguadilla - Fantastic diving when you can get out to Desecheo. Good diving elswhere. Taino Divers 2.5 hours from SJU
-I hear there is good diving up in NW by Isabella, but I haven't been up there yet. We'll make it someday.
-Culebra - Wonderful Diving - Culebra Divers... very friendly group. 20 minute flight from SJU
-Vieques - Great Diving - Vieques Dive Company. that's my company btw. I can't say we're the friendliest dive company in the world because SCUBA in St. Croix holds that title...But we do pretty good down here. 20 min flight from SJU

I say you should check out all these locations...not bad at all.

fitz
www.viequesdivers.com

Back
Top Bottom