Econo-BC's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leadweight once bubbled...
My opinion is that it is is not worth buying a BP solely for single tank recreational diving. There are major comfort issues with the BP, which IMO, is why I don't see that many on dive boats, at least in the warm water areas where I dive. What the BP does really well is hold a set of manifolded (air connected) dual tanks on the diver's back.

What are you basing your opinion on?

My opinion is that a BPs not all that comfortable. At least that is what I found out after trying one. As for the scarcity of BP's at warm water locations, that is based on observation. Not just my boat, but after watching many people load up at various tropical locales.

Just why the BP is nowhere near as popular in real life as it appears to be in this forum might be better explained in the thread about why so few LDS's stock BP's. As Rick M. puts it, it's just supply and demand.

No, I have not done a marketing study, It's just my opinion that comfort issues keep the BP off most LDS shelves, and that is why they are scarce in the real world.

I would point out again that many around here are quick to recommend the BP as the "one size fits all solution" to divers with no stated interest in technical diving. I find that to be "off" and think divers, especially new ones, consulting this forum are entitled to a more thoughtful reply when they say they need advice in finding a BC, or whould they buy XYZ BC for themselves.

A BP is shaped so that doubles may be bolted to it. The hump in the center fits up between the doubles and provides a place for the wing nuts to sit without gouging the wearer's back. This hump goes right under a single tank, which mores the tank away from the diver's back. Also, the tank will not sit on this narrow hump in a stable fashion without adding metal chanel single tank adaptor which causes the tank to be even further away. Halcyon has a proprietary wing that has a built in STA. There appears to be some debate as tohow effective this is.

At any rate, moving the tank away from the diver would appear to create a less hydrodynamic profile. It could increase the tendancy for the diver to roll over from the weight of the tank in circumstances where the total weight required by the diver does not allow enough lead on the weightbelt to balance this effect. This would be most likely when using a stainless steel BP in fresh water.

Note that the hydrodynamic benefits of using a backplate are annecdotal. I have never seen a quantitative test. I suspect that the main benefit is from the design of the Halcyon Pioneer wing which looks as slick as a fish belley.

Many dive shops rotate their rental equipment annually (the shiny stuff makes students feel better and buy shiny stuff for themselves). If you are comfortable with what you are renting, this may be a good option. A very reputable shop here was selling complete, tested, clean, year-old AquaLung/SeaQuest/Suunto rental rigs (1st, 2nd, Octo, BC, SPG, computer) for about $500 last month.

leadweight once bubbled...
Zeagle Scout for $210? Where? Is that from a dealer? Remember Zeagle has a great warranty, but does not allow mail order sales by their dealers.
LP with an LP warranty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom