Eco Explorer Runs Aground On Tubbataha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paolov:
hey Cathy,

what gives you the right to comment on it as iycan a.k.a martin says?

on my personal opinion on your post, thank you for your update.

Ha ha ha ha! Just helping you get the PPds back on topic like you suggested. Plus I was starting to feel sorry for Martin. Alaskador talaga mga PPD :D

I was on the Stella during what they explained was the second attempt to get the Eco free. Apparently it worked. The Eco is a big sucker, bigger than the Stella, so kudos to capitan for getting it done.

I understand manhattan, maybe his anger is fueled by stuff he's already heard about SW; more likely it's the fact that there have been 3 explorer groundings in the past. From a branding and image perspective ScubaWorld will suffer for this but maybe more so because of the overall image and personality of its owner, John Wy.

Whatever they say about him, he has grown the exploreer fleet from one boat to several in record time. But he's nearly a monopoly and the downside is he can dictate his own penalties even while turning part of a world heritage site into rubble.

Nobody ive talked to has anything good to say about him. One guy even told me of the time Wy solicited divers on the Tristar to cancel their trips so that he could give them special rates on one of his explorers. It's a reliable source and on balance, effectively makes Wy an *** in my book.

Maybe he should rename it the Exploiter Fleet.

Saddleback:
Nobody ive talked to has anything good to say about him. One guy even told me of the time Wy solicited divers on the Tristar to cancel their trips so that he could give them special rates on one of his explorers. It's a reliable source and on balance, effectively makes Wy an *** in my book.

Maybe he should rename it the Exploiter Fleet.

Saddleback,

while this info maybe true (I don't know since I haven't encountered this John Wy), I think it's best if we keep the chismis out of here. :)

Besides, the pertinent info speaks for itself.

it's hardly chismis chip. All these people like i said are RELIABLE sources with absolutely no reason to lie. I detest character assasination myself, sorry if it sounded like that. Did'nt mean it.

CLA:
"it will be a bitter pill to swallow". 60% of the park fees come from scubaworld guests.

as the mafia would say.. "he who haz thez stonez makez za rulez..."

Saddleback:
it's hardly chismis chip. All these people like i said are RELIABLE sources with absolutely no reason to lie. I detest character assasination myself, sorry if it sounded like that. Did'nt mean it.
Don't worry, I'm far from disagreeing with you, saddle. :) Just trying to avoid any flame wars that might arise.

Saddleback:
I understand manhattan, maybe his anger is fueled by stuff he's already heard about SW; more likely it's the fact that there have been 3 explorer groundings in the past.

It's the latter. I don't live in the Philippines, so I'd heard very little about Scuba World. I never dove with them before, nor was I aware of how negatively some people viewed them. I did know that two of their boats had run aground, but I assumed that Scuba World would have learned their lesson and improved their act. If anything, I felt some sympathy towards them given the exagerated rumors of fuel spills after the Island Explorer ran aground on Apo Reef. Stupid me.

The Eco Explorer grounding bothered me because it destroyed the reef. The slavage operation bothered me not so much because they attmepted it with the Oceanic and the Stella Maris, but because of the incompetent, dangerous way in which it was done. The aftermath bothered me because despite everything else that had happened, (i) Scuba World still tried to cut the trip short, (ii) the Stella Maris' head divemaster was rude and unreasonably limited our diving on the last day of the trip, and (iii) Scuba World got off with a slap on the wrist, instead of paying a proper fine. I can't say anything about the owner of Scuba World since I never met the man, but thanks to this trip I now have very negative views about his company.

So is Tubbataha still worth it??? Was planning to visit the reef this 2007 with SW boats :) .... Any other company running live-aboards to tubbataha this 2007?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom