Eco Explorer Runs Aground On Tubbataha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

am having a headache now and you are bringing this offtopic.

things i have to do, that is why........ where is KIM hehehhehehe

paolov:
@ CHIP104 - pards relax relax...........

and to the rest of the PPD WOLVES AND VULTURES : is that how you welcome MARTIN !!!! gash !!!! you guys.... you should "WELL COME" him HAHAHAHHAHA i think i remember that sign somewhere ehhehehehe

you know what is safe? do it your own is safe.

mga hayuf kayo....... you are fighting the person.

but correct the matthew, better to have something than to wait for the local legal system here. pero hindi pa din ako makakasama mamaya ha (PPD only )

but i do have schedules to post see antother thread

o there i englished it hehehehhe

remembering ading fernando? :D

I'm not trying to be contrabida or anything but if it's any consolation something good did come out this incident. The damage to the reef was around 120+ sq meters and for this scubaworld will install 6 mooring buoys which is equivalent to the fine of 600,000 pesos. Not bad considering that the parks budget deficit already runs in the millions and it's getting harder and harder for them to find funds for their basic operations. Scubaworld was also warned that they would be suspended if they run aground again.

The buoys will come in handy. The reason why the eco was floating around that night was becuase it was too big to use the buoys. Also, it was the first mate manning the ship and not the captain. It was fortunate that they were able to get the boat out early. If the tide changed and the hull was damaged there could have been an oil spill.

CLA, thanks very much for the update. Nice to hear that something good will come from this incident after all. I'm still a bit shocked though to hear that the fine was only 600,000 pesos. That's only 5000 pesos or approximately $100 per square meter of reef destroyed. That just doesn't seem right. On top of that, I'm sure that the moorings Scuba World will install will now be big enough to accommodate their own ships. It's hard to characterize that as a fine since the moorings will just be a benefit to Scuba World in the long run (i.e. savings on fuel not having to cruise up and down the reefs). Each guest visiting Tubbataha has to pay a $60 reef conservation fee. It's not like each of us destroys 2/3 of a square meter of reef per visit. Despite these fees though, the reef tops in the park show obvious signs of blast fishing. Even in front of the Ranger station they are in quite bad shape. I don't know how the conservation fees are spent, but I was pretty disappointed to see such obvious signs of lax enforcement.

On a separate note, for those who think that Scuba World was generous in offering a free return trip to Eco Explorer passengers, think of this analogy: If you went to a nice restaurant, got food poisoning and the owner offered you a free meal as compensation, would you take it? If so, would you still do so knowing that two other people had also gotten food poisoning at the same restaurant? Personally, I'd rather eat at Jollibee / McDonalds and pay for it myself.

CLA:
...The damage to the reef was around 120+ sq meters and for this scubaworld will install 6 mooring buoys which is equivalent to the fine of 600,000 pesos.

...Scubaworld was also warned that they would be suspended if they run aground again.

the buoys will really be helpful... however, they weren't suspended at all for this?

iris_ice:
the buoys will really be helpful... however, they weren't suspended at all for this?

No,not yet- however park management is determined to suspend them the next time they run aground even though (and I quote) "it will be a bitter pill to swallow". 60% of the park fees come from scubaworld guests.

lycan:
My name is martin and I was on the eco explorer when it ran aground. I have been browsing thru the comments on this forum and i must say that if you were not there during the incident you have no business criticizing expedition fleet much more insult scubaworld employees ( these employees were not even involved in the incident ). It is sad to think that for people like us who can afford to dive, one would think we would have some upbringing of some sort.

For those who were not there .........you dont even have the right to comment on this!!!!!

hey Cathy,

what gives you the right to comment on it as iycan a.k.a martin says?

on my personal opinion on your post, thank you for your update.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom