eBay SPG leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you purchased an item made by a company that was around in the 60's and went out of business like 20 or more years ago, the item maybe 30 or more years old, and you expected it to work properly..looks like a case of buyers beware and instead of saving maybe $50 you are likely stuck with this purchase and need to spend more time and $$ and purchase new or buy another questionable used one and possibly get screwed again.

Fair enough. Live and Learn.

Did you post a picture of it and I somehow missed it?

My guess, based upon several old SPGs from eBay etc, is that the holes need to be just a bit cleaner and perhaps an O-ring was damaged during installation. I use a Q-tip with some of the cotton removed and some dilute acid (vinegar) and stick it in the hole and twist it back and forth. Do the same with water afterward. Then I do the same with some silicone grease on the Q-tip. Avoid getting too much of anything in there that might clog the hole. I pre-stretch the O-rings on an awl before trying to put them on the spool--this makes it easier to put them on plus it makes them a little larger in diameter, temporarily. Grease the O-rings before you install them on the spool. Try it again, stick the gauge in a bucket of water, and turn the gauge on the swivel while pressurized. The last one I did ($8 on eBay with a good depth gauge) leaked at first and then the seals "set" and now it's fine.

I have around 8-9 old SPGs and so far none have needed a new spool, but I sure wouldn't rule it out. It would be difficult to use the wrong size O-rings, but just in case they are usually 003. Which O-ring material are you using? I have great success with Viton.

delete

Yeah.....but what do you really think?

Great advice so far: Clean or replace the swivel spool, lube and replace the o-rings. Clean the inside of the gauge and hose fittings. Generously lubricate all the swiveling parts. Test it in a bucket/sink while pressurized.

Now a confession: Not long ago I sold an SPG on ebay (not to the OP) after it tested good. After receipt, the buyer contacted me with a complaint that the "gauge" was leaking. I know I checked it, but none-the-less there was an issue and the customer asked "how do we proceed?" I replied he could:
1. Return it for a full refund (I pay postage.)
2. Return it, I'll repair it and send it back.
3. Attempt to repair it himself-I'll send the parts and talk him through the process.

I was delighted when he chose door number 3. I sent him a couple of different spools and seals including a few for the spool in his gauge. Problem solved. Lesson learned for me-since then I clean and lube the hardware and replace the o-rings per the above prior to listing any more SPGs.

I was fortunate this did not happen to a customer with a different temperament. I had one of those recently too. I sold a regulator I rebuilt to someone who took it to his local dive shop. The LDS advised him that the regulator had to be overhauled because two of the low pressure ports plugs were not installed (I shipped it in a zip lock bag.) I refunded his money on return of the item.

Sometimes you eat the bear; sometimes the bear eats you.

Fair enough. Live and Learn.

Here's Scubatoys opinion on Parkway (from 2004)

Parkway Regulator

Parkway was never really anthing more than a name... they didn't make anything - just slapped their name on it. Yes, they went belly up about a year ago - and deserved to as their customer service was terrible. We dropped the line because their service was so bad.

XS Scuba - who primairly is in the dive bag business, has bought up their name and assets, but the future of the products is suspect - so I'd be hesitant to get any gear with their name on it if I cared about parts, warranty, etc...

Just fixed my little bubble leak from my SPG at the hose side...removed spool, ran a Q-Tip in the hole, placed some ChritoLube on both orings and whalaaaa! Bubbles gone. Saved $40.00!

It's nice to have a PONY around to check my gear on the dining room table :)

Edit: Its also nice to have great members here sharing advice and DIY fixes! Thanks to ALL!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom