eBay SPG leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good to know. I need to break out the calipers or find the different types in an LDS to see if I need P1 or P3.
I have read that sometimes the standard flanged spool will work as a substitute but if you have to buy one anyway I would get the one made for your spg.

If $70 is breaking the bank then maybe this hobby isn't for you. You get what you pay for.

Who said $70 is breaking the guys bank? You can get perfectly good scuba gear on Ebay for a fraction of what it sells for by a dealer or dive shop. You make two very wrong statements/ASSumptions.

I contacted the seller and they're trying to blame the post office. I'm sure they'll claim I screwed up cleaning it somehow.

Ah, the old "It's not my problem" blame deflection. How's the seller's feedback rating?

My guess is you're going to have to file a claim. Dive gear is tough and mishandling by the post office isn't likely to cause that sort of a problem. You said you contacted the seller but didn't click the "return item" button. In case you aren't aware, clicking that button opens a case and there are deadlines after the sale during which time you must file a claim or you lose the ability to do it.

Based on the sellers response I would have gone right to filing a case.

Rule number 1 is don't expect any dive gear you buy off ebay to actually work, esp something like an spg. You can get an spg starting at $49 on DGE. I find that hard to believe to be overpriced.

There's a lot of perfectly good dive gear on Ebay, some sold by reputable dealers including Leisure Pro, some sold by other divers, others sold by people who have no clue.

You just need to know what you're doing which means a) know which sellers to deal with b) know your rights when something isn't as advertised and c) know enough about the gear to have it properly tested, inspected, and/or serviced.

All my 2" and 2.5" Italian glass/brass spgs have this spool:
1385-1613_th.gif
What brand is yours?

Who said $70 is breaking the guys bank? You can get perfectly good scuba gear on Ebay for a fraction of what it sells for by a dealer or dive shop. You make two very wrong statements/ASSumptions.

Ah, the old "It's not my problem" blame deflection. How's the seller's feedback rating?

My guess is you're going to have to file a claim. Dive gear is tough and mishandling by the post office isn't likely to cause that sort of a problem. You said you contacted the seller but didn't click the "return item" button. In case you aren't aware, clicking that button opens a case and there are deadlines after the sale during which time you must file a claim or you lose the ability to do it.

Based on the sellers response I would have gone right to filing a case.

There's a lot of perfectly good dive gear on Ebay, some sold by reputable dealers including Leisure Pro, some sold by other divers, others sold by people who have no clue.

You just need to know what you're doing which means a) know which sellers to deal with b) know your rights when something isn't as advertised and c) know enough about the gear to have it properly tested, inspected, and/or serviced.
Once you start working on it the seller can claim you broke it, it may not help him with the claim but it does cast doubt.

All my 2" and 2.5" Italian glass/brass spgs have this spool:
1385-1613_th.gif
What brand is yours?

Parkway

I had a seller (regular ebay store type) claim the post office screwed up the first stage in shipping because he serviced it - thing was puking silicone from ambient ports when pressurized. He also said I had done something because it had to be coming from my tanks (LMAO). I knew returning it would be an even bigger hassle as he would likely claim something else too, somehow invalidating everything. He also offered to service it (I pay return shipping, and required service parts). Thing is, the mint g250 that was on it as well as the DIN fitting on the first stage were worth more than what I had payed for it, so I kept it, opened it up, and found complete salt water corrosion in it... yep, serviced!

Assume every eBay item will likely still end up costing more, and plan it in your purchase price....

You didn't read. I buy things off of ebay no issue. I just bought 10 MK10/G250S. But I also expected there could be issues with them and would need to be serviced, some may not even be as advertised. When it comes to something like an spg, I aint ebaying it. SPGs take alot of abuse, are rarely serviced, and are prone to failure. I would expect failure.

So you purchased an item made by a company that was around in the 60's and went out of business like 20 or more years ago, the item maybe 30 or more years old, and you expected it to work properly..looks like a case of buyers beware and instead of saving maybe $50 you are likely stuck with this purchase and need to spend more time and $$ and purchase new or buy another questionable used one and possibly get screwed again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom