eBay SPG leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TooManyHobbies

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently grabbed an SPG off eBay. The seller said he bench tested it without issue. When it arrived, I pulled off the boot and saw a good bit of corrosion. I soaked it in vinegar and water and brushed it off before testing it on a tank. I didn't put the boot back on.
I got a squeal of air coming out of it from somewhere near the SPG itself, not enough to feel, though. So I pulled it off the tank and took the dial off the hose. Some more corrosion. I cleaned that out as well, making sure not to get any of the solution inside of the device. I pulled the spool out (bullet type), which was stuck really tight, swapped the o-rings and lubed them before putting them back in.
I'm still getting the same squeal. What are my next steps? Should I put the boot back on and try again? SPGs are way more expensive than I think they have any right to be and I'd rather get this one working than buy another.

Sure it's not the spool. I would just replace the entire spool. An LDS will sell you one for less than $2. Many will just give it to you free out of hopes you'll remember their good deed.
Rule number 1 is don't expect any dive gear you buy off ebay to actually work, esp something like an spg. You can get an spg starting at $49 on DGE. I find that hard to believe to be overpriced.

First you need to determine where the leak is. Have you tried putting it in water to see where the bubbles are coming from?

First and only thing I would have done would have been to click the button that says "Return this item".

Sure it's not the spool. I would just replace the entire spool. An LDS will sell you one for less than $2. Many will just give it to you free out of hopes you'll remember their good deed.
Rule number 1 is don't expect any dive gear you buy off ebay to actually work, esp something like an spg. You can get an spg starting at $49 on DGE. I find that hard to believe to be overpriced.
I will swap the spool. Does it need to be the bullet type? Or can I use the kind with the band around the center?
49 for the gauge and then over 20 for the hose adds up after a while. Maybe these are more complex than I think.
First you need to determine where the leak is. Have you tried putting it in water to see where the bubbles are coming from?
I'll do that today.
First and only thing I would have done would have been to click the button that says "Return this item".
That may still happen. I contacted the seller and they're trying to blame the post office. I'm sure they'll claim I screwed up cleaning it somehow.

49 for the gauge and then over 20 for the hose adds up after a while. Maybe these are more complex than I think.

If $70 is breaking the bank then maybe this hobby isn't for you. You get what you pay for. It is a semi-precision instrument made by only a handful of manufacturers.

When you test it, if the leak is from the spool area there is a good chance it needs a new spool.

There are three types..

HP Spools

I have only ever replaced with identical types.

If $70 is breaking the bank then maybe this hobby isn't for you. You get what you pay for. It is a semi-precision instrument made by only a handful of manufacturers.

That's a huge fallacy. No one is interested in paying more than they have to for an item. I've used pressure gauges for years in several different jobs and hobbies and scuba SPGs are the most expensive, even when compared to 5000+ PSI aircraft pneudraulic and hydraulic systems. I'm sure there are factors determining the tollerances that increase price, but that's why I went used. I posted in the DIY forum because I'm more interested in getting this piece of gear working than spending over double on the same piece of equipment.

When you test it, if the leak is from the spool area there is a good chance it needs a new spool.

There are three types..

HP Spools

I have only ever replaced with identical types.

Good to know. I need to break out the calipers or find the different types in an LDS to see if I need P1 or P3.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom