eBay adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Vlahos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings friends,

I have been looking for a dry suit for a while. My search has been rather low key as I have not been in a particular rush (renting), and I have been looking mostly on eBay, TheDecoStop, and ScubaBoard. Since this will be my first owned dry suit I wanted to take a different approach than I have with much of my other dive gear. It has been my experience with other purchases that my initial choices are not usually awful, but they are often not the best ones I have ever made either.

I wanted to get a DUI suit specifically because I eventually wanted ZipSeals; at least on the wrists and possibly on the neck seal as well. I did not expect that a used suit would have them from the beginning, but rather I would have them put on when the seals on the suit eventually needed replacing. I also wanted things like pockets, but could not decide on zipper or Velcro flap closures. I knew I did not want a neoprene suit because of the drying times and bulk that would present problems with my traveling, this was about the only thing I was completely set on. I came to the conclusion that it really boiled down to the TLS 350 or the CLx 450. I chose to keep my eye out for both suits with an emphasis on the 450. This choice was because I like the thicker more abrasion resistant fabrics on the Zeagle suits, and the 450 came closer to meeting this desire than the 350 did. It also helps that I am quite nearly an exact fit for a stock XL suit form DUI.

Well, I have kept my eyes open and looking for a few months, and low and behold a while ago I came home from work and checked eBay and there was the perfect suit; a Stock CLx 450 size XL, the suit was described as nearly perfect with only 2 dives. The owner had purchased the wrong size and needed to replace it with a Large. I checked the guys rating and he had 35 positive reports and no negative, and the price at around $650 was low, but I figured his description was possibly a bit on the optimistic side. Frankly I was expecting a suit that may have been in the water only twice but both of those dives were at least a few years ago and the seals would need replacing, and there would be some other minor problems with the suit. I bought the suit with the “buy it now” option and paid my money. I gave a shipping address and made initial communications with the seller, and then waited for it to arrive. There were some unexpected shipping delays, which got me nervous, but the suit eventually arrived.

I opened the box and was surprised to see it was the wrong suit. The suit that was in the box was a TLS 350 with kneepads and a zippered pocket on the right outer thigh. The only thing that could have confused the seller was that the suit was all black in color somewhat similar to the stock colors on the 450. I began to think about it and since there is a label right on the suit that clearly states the model of the suit I figured either the seller is an idiot or something could be wrong. Another key factor about the suit that made me nervous was that the suit was absolutely pristine, not a mark on it anywhere. As I had planned on doing even before I ever knew about this specific suit I contacted DUI directly to see if there was any history on file with them about the suit

The person I spoke with at DUI seemed to take a while with some of the answers but she reported a clean bill of health on the suit. The next morning I received an e-mail form a dive shop owner, the message made reference to the serial number on the suit and he asked me to contact him as soon as possible. I gave the dive shop owner a call and he informed me that to his surprise the suit had been stolen from his store having never been sold. It was apparently the fact that DUI had no record of the initial sale to any customer that caused the employee at DUI to look a little further after I spoke with her. Apparently the shop that purchased the suit is real good about getting warranty information at the time of sale and turning in warranty cards for their customers

I don’t want to get into too many specific details but I was provided with sufficient proof that the suit was indeed stolen. I was informed that all of the principals in this family owned and operated store had been made aware of the theft, and that the thief had been confronted and had admitted his actions.

When confronted with this reality I could reach no conclusion other than to return the suit to its rightful owner. The owner of the shop graciously decided to give me back the money that I had paid the thief for the purchase of the suit. He did not have a legal obligation to do this but he felt that he would have an easier time getting the money from the thief than I might. I secured appropriate documents to indicate the return of the dry suit to the shop owner and that he had given me the amount of money from my purchase in effect assuming my debt.

The end result is that I still don’t have a dry suit, but I got all of my money back with the small exception of that spent on a few phone calls, and of course some lost time. Will I buy on eBay again, yes. I might be a little more careful, but I did check this guy out before I purchased and he came up smelling like a rose, so I would not be able to prevent this exact thing from happening again.

Thanks for your time,

Mark Vlahos

Mark Vlahos:
I could reach no conclusion other than to return the suit to its rightful owner. The owner of the shop graciously decided to give me back the money that I had paid the thief for the purchase of the suit. He did not have a legal obligation to do this but he felt that he would have an easier time getting the money from the thief than I might.

Lucky you. Your honesty was rewarded. I woulda' made you one hell of a deal on a new suit, too.

I don't know how you paid, but if it was by Credit Card you should dispute the charges. Hopefully, you also provided the seller's information to the shop and law enforcement.

RoatanMan:
Lucky you. Your honesty was rewarded. I woulda' made you one hell of a deal on a new suit, too.

The store owner has shown a willingness to work with me on getting a new suit. Unfortunately, the deeply discounted prices he has talked about are still out of my price range for a new suit. I am only willing to pay cash or with a credit card that I pay off every month.

Mark Vlahos

H20Bubbles:
I don't know how you paid, but if it was by Credit Card you should dispute the charges. Hopefully, you also provided the seller's information to the shop and law enforcement.

I paid with PayPal, but it was not necessary for me to pursue a refund because the store owner assumed the problem.

I did provide eBay, and PayPal with complete information regarding my adventure, so far however the seller still has an account on eBay. He has not, however, tried to sell anything since my experience. I did leave extremely negative feedback for him.

As far as the police are concerned the shop owner has that kettle of fish in is lap. I do not know what he is doing about it. There are other mitigating factors that I chose not to mention in my original post that give the owner power over the thief beyond police action.

Mark Vlahos

Could you do us all a favour and post the EBAY handle for this person? It might save someone else some grief later on. I'm glad you came out of this unscathed.

Mark Vlahos:
Greetings friends,

I have been looking for a dry suit for a while. My search has been rather low key as I have not been in a particular rush (renting), and I have been looking mostly on eBay, TheDecoStop, and ScubaBoard. Since this will be my first owned dry suit I wanted to take a different approach than I have with much of my other dive gear. It has been my experience with other purchases that my initial choices are not usually awful, but they are often not the best ones I have ever made either.

I wanted to get a DUI suit specifically because I eventually wanted ZipSeals; at least on the wrists and possibly on the neck seal as well. I did not expect that a used suit would have them from the beginning, but rather I would have them put on when the seals on the suit eventually needed replacing. I also wanted things like pockets, but could not decide on zipper or Velcro flap closures. I knew I did not want a neoprene suit because of the drying times and bulk that would present problems with my traveling, this was about the only thing I was completely set on. I came to the conclusion that it really boiled down to the TLS 350 or the CLx 450. I chose to keep my eye out for both suits with an emphasis on the 450. This choice was because I like the thicker more abrasion resistant fabrics on the Zeagle suits, and the 450 came closer to meeting this desire than the 350 did. It also helps that I am quite nearly an exact fit for a stock XL suit form DUI.

Well, I have kept my eyes open and looking for a few months, and low and behold a while ago I came home from work and checked eBay and there was the perfect suit; a Stock CLx 450 size XL, the suit was described as nearly perfect with only 2 dives. The owner had purchased the wrong size and needed to replace it with a Large. I checked the guys rating and he had 35 positive reports and no negative, and the price at around $650 was low, but I figured his description was possibly a bit on the optimistic side. Frankly I was expecting a suit that may have been in the water only twice but both of those dives were at least a few years ago and the seals would need replacing, and there would be some other minor problems with the suit. I bought the suit with the “buy it now” option and paid my money. I gave a shipping address and made initial communications with the seller, and then waited for it to arrive. There were some unexpected shipping delays, which got me nervous, but the suit eventually arrived.

I opened the box and was surprised to see it was the wrong suit. The suit that was in the box was a TLS 350 with kneepads and a zippered pocket on the right outer thigh. The only thing that could have confused the seller was that the suit was all black in color somewhat similar to the stock colors on the 450. I began to think about it and since there is a label right on the suit that clearly states the model of the suit I figured either the seller is an idiot or something could be wrong. Another key factor about the suit that made me nervous was that the suit was absolutely pristine, not a mark on it anywhere. As I had planned on doing even before I ever knew about this specific suit I contacted DUI directly to see if there was any history on file with them about the suit

The person I spoke with at DUI seemed to take a while with some of the answers but she reported a clean bill of health on the suit. The next morning I received an e-mail form a dive shop owner, the message made reference to the serial number on the suit and he asked me to contact him as soon as possible. I gave the dive shop owner a call and he informed me that to his surprise the suit had been stolen from his store having never been sold. It was apparently the fact that DUI had no record of the initial sale to any customer that caused the employee at DUI to look a little further after I spoke with her. Apparently the shop that purchased the suit is real good about getting warranty information at the time of sale and turning in warranty cards for their customers

I don’t want to get into too many specific details but I was provided with sufficient proof that the suit was indeed stolen. I was informed that all of the principals in this family owned and operated store had been made aware of the theft, and that the thief had been confronted and had admitted his actions.

When confronted with this reality I could reach no conclusion other than to return the suit to its rightful owner. The owner of the shop graciously decided to give me back the money that I had paid the thief for the purchase of the suit. He did not have a legal obligation to do this but he felt that he would have an easier time getting the money from the thief than I might. I secured appropriate documents to indicate the return of the dry suit to the shop owner and that he had given me the amount of money from my purchase in effect assuming my debt.

The end result is that I still don’t have a dry suit, but I got all of my money back with the small exception of that spent on a few phone calls, and of course some lost time. Will I buy on eBay again, yes. I might be a little more careful, but I did check this guy out before I purchased and he came up smelling like a rose, so I would not be able to prevent this exact thing from happening again.

Thanks for your time,

Mark Vlahos
sorry on bad experience ..pm if interested in getting a suit ..we are in NYC-Bronx.
maybe take this as a learning experience and instead of buying the suit ebay go to a lds and get one.small stuff on ebay I guess ok but this kind of money??..this is a very common problem and shows buyer beware..you are very lucky that the lds owner gave you $..as you said you had stolen property and he did not have to..at the lds I teach at we sell that suit at (I am not in the store now so this is a estimate)I believe $1894.,.list at $2178.stock xl..we also try dui site for factory 2nds ..of course if available it is less.. this includes a full speciality class where you learn not only to use the suit but care and maintence..repair..hope this not come off too negative to you all but I have seen it over and over with people buying a dry suit/computer/regulator/.camera etc on ebay and such and then being surprised on either it does not work/fit /not the real thing...if you purchase this way again as I said buyer beware...

oly5050user:
sorry on bad experience ..pm if interested in getting a suit ..we are in NYC-Bronx.
maybe take this as a learning experience and instead of buying the suit ebay go to a lds and get one.small stuff on ebay I guess ok but this kind of money??..this is a very common problem and shows buyer beware..you are very lucky that the lds owner gave you $..as you said you had stolen property and he did not have to..at the lds I teach at we sell that suit at (I am not in the store now so this is a estimate)I believe $1894.,.list at $2178.stock xl..we also try dui site for factory 2nds ..of course if available it is less.. this includes a full speciality class where you learn not only to use the suit but care and maintence..repair..hope this not come off too negative to you all but I have seen it over and over with people buying a dry suit/computer/regulator/.camera etc on ebay and such and then being surprised on either it does not work/fit /not the real thing...if you purchase this way again as I said buyer beware...
Hi,

I'm happy that I came out as well as I did. I am already a trained dry suit diver and have been renting for a little while. When I get my second suit, I expect that I will spend the $$ and get a specialized suit with the pockets and such. I just don't want to spend that much cash on what will most certainly end up as either a backup suit or sold.

I have made several eBay purchases in the past and I go in with my eyes open, frankly I had low expectations about what I would eventually end up with. This is a large part of the reason I was suspicious when I saw the suit.

The shop owner has made me an excellent offer on a new suit, but since I try not to use credit, but rather approach large purchases as a cash buyer even deeply discounted a new suit is beyond my budget at this time. I will continue to save and eventually will get some suit either from eBay or new, whatever my finances will allow.

Mark Vlahos

Laughing Swordfish:
Could you do us all a favour and post the EBAY handle for this person? It might save someone else some grief later on. I'm glad you came out of this unscathed.

PM sent.

Mark Vlahos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom