eating oysters in the shell...question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackSpearo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought a big box of cleaned (as in all the mud/sand) oysters last friday. They were directly off the truck in SC when i got them, they are from Louisiana...I kept them in a big cooler and i just put a tray of ice on them (not much) 2 times during the week...I've been storing them in my garage, where it is cool...

today I was really hungry and I went to see if I should eat them or throw them away...

I inspected a few that were opened, so I threw them away, all the others were shut tight...so I cooked them and ate them, they didn't taste bad or anything...It's just that my mom keeps freaking me out because she is paranoid about getting things from oysters...

should I be okay?

the oysters were tightly shut and were cold to the touch...I opened a raw one up and smelled it...smelt fine to me...bought them last friday, ate them again today...

thanks

Jack

well, you're cooking them, so you'll be fine for sure, since you've kept them cold

it's when you eat them raw that you can get some issues

You did good. Just because they are open doesn't mean they are dead. Give a squeeze, if it pops back open it's dead and probably shouldn't be eaten.

Andy is also right, the issue isn't with cooked oysters, it's the raw ones that can mess you up.

TwoBit

There is some rule about what months you can eat them. I think it is ok to eat them if it has an "R" in the month but I could be wrong.

Brent

yeah, basically that's b.s.

you can eat oysters year-round, but they're not as tasty in the summer, when the water heats up

The "R' thing has to do with PSP. It runs a higher risk in the summer months when the water is warmer and you have a toxic algee bloom. Cooking a dead oyster that has spoiled still is not a good idea...If they are tight, they are live and good to eat.

They were bad!!! Next time give me a call and I will come haul them away for you. :)

As long as they close tightly, your fine. Steaming them well or on a grill rack over a bed of coals will kill most other problems......Now you got me wanting some.

I love both cooked and raw oysters. I've never had a problem with the raw ones. Add a little horseradish, some green tabasco sauce and a cold beer......what a treat!

There are thousands of raw oysters eaten every year without incident.

But then again, there was a fatality last year directly attributed to eating raw oysters in a restaurant in the city I work for too. (He was also a high risk individual)

TwoBit

Back
Top Bottom