Easy to reach Pacific reef destinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Maldives yet. I don't know what flights look like from Ohio but from DC on Emirates it was 2 flights with a short layover. Liveaboards departing out of Male will send their dhoni to pick you up literally at the airport and you'll be on the liveaboard in less than 10 minutes.

There are other itineraries of course that may involve another domestic flight.
I've done group dives, and one of the trip leaders always talks about how Maldives is the best diving in the world. It is certainly on my radar, but so-so for reefs, not that much easier to get to than Indonesia/Philippines/Fiji and much more expensive.

I agree Raja Ampat is my best choice as far as diving. Google flights has me flying American from CLE to DFW to NRT. This much I trust. Then I need a Japan Airlines or All Nippon Airways flight to Jakarta, an even less reliable flight to Sorong, and potentially transportation from the Sorong airport to the liveaboard. Very easy to lose a day or two in Tokyo or Jakarta, either going there or coming back. So best case I need 48 hours each way, but probably need to plan 96, and even that is optimistic. I don't see how I have enough dive time to make this actually worthwhile. If I had the option to leave for 3 weeks, certainly I would do it.

I have been to Raja Ampat from Houston to Sorong ten (10) times. From Cleveland to Sorong wouldn’t make it that much longer. You can make it in less than 48 hours. Let me give you a real example.

Let’s choose the best boat that I have been on, Blue Manta. They have a trip to Raja Ampat 13-23 February 2025 with 1 available spot as shown in their website schedule:

I can be there by flying from Cleveland on 11 February and returning back to Cleveland on 24 February. That is in 13 days (< 2 weeks). Flying with the best airlines in the world, Singapore Airlines & the best airlines in Indonesia, Garuda Indonesia.

IMG_4527.jpeg
IMG_4528.jpeg

Raja Ampat is certainly possible if nothing goes wrong. The first part of my journey, CLE to LAX or DFW or another major airport is not a major concern. I am having issues with the best airline in Indonesia's website, but suppose they have 3 flights a week between Jakarta and Sorong. If mine gets cancelled, that doesn't necessarily put me on the next flight. The next flight might be almost full and there is a whole flight of cancelled passengers trying to get seats on the next few flights. So I might be schedule to fly Monday, Monday is cancelled, Wednesday is full, and I get bumped to Friday or even the next Monday. Better odds spending my money on lottery tickets, and if I win mega-millions, I can quit my job so I have enough time to plan this properly.

I've done group dives, and one of the trip leaders always talks about how Maldives is the best diving in the world. It is certainly on my radar, but so-so for reefs, not that much easier to get to than Indonesia/Philippines/Fiji and much more expensive.
I have been to Maldives 3 times on 5 liveaboards. The 6th liveaboard will be in February 2025. Maldives is not as good as Raja Ampat in terms of biodiversity, but it has more sharks for sure. The reef is not as pristine as that of Raja Ampat, as shown in my trip videos that I posted in page 1 of this thread.

For big animal dive destination, not so much care about seeing pretty reef, the best one is Galapagos. You may want to consider that one too.

Other eastern pacific destinations that you may want to consider are:

Socorro

Cocos

Malpelo

The OP wants to see nice reefs so I don't think Socorro applies. Mantas, dolphins and sharks then yes Socorro is absolutely amazing and not to be missed!

IMHO @bvbellomo If you are looking for easy then I would wait on Raja... It is a brutal travel experience for most people since it requires a red eye flight at the tale end of an already brutal long haul flight (I have been there 2 times already this year). I think for people like @Dan and myself who travel to Indo a few times a year it is easier since we know what the travel entails. Like when to eat and what not to eat and when to sleep etc... Honestly if you are looking for beautiful reefs, soft coral, fish etc. with an easy flight you really can't go wrong with Fiji. The Naia is a great liveaboard and if you want a resort look at something like Dive into the Heart of Fiji | Volivoli Beach Resort This advice is coming from someone who LOVES Indonesia and travels there 3-4 times a year. Fiji is an amazing place with beautiful soft coral reefs etc.

Raja Ampat is certainly possible if nothing goes wrong. The first part of my journey, CLE to LAX or DFW or another major airport is not a major concern. I am having issues with the best airline in Indonesia's website, but suppose they have 3 flights a week between Jakarta and Sorong. If mine gets cancelled, that doesn't necessarily put me on the next flight. The next flight might be almost full and there is a whole flight of cancelled passengers trying to get seats on the next few flights. So I might be schedule to fly Monday, Monday is cancelled, Wednesday is full, and I get bumped to Friday or even the next Monday. Better odds spending my money on lottery tickets, and if I win mega-millions, I can quit my job so I have enough time to plan this properly.
Man-o-man, you worry too much. Just stay home and go diving in the local lake then. Like I said earlier, I have done this trip to Raja Ampat ten times and never missed any trip (knock on wood).

I have no problem book the domestic flights via https://www.garuda-indonesia.com/oc/en/

They include 20kg luggage + 20kg for dive gear. By flying at midnight, you won’t miss any connection. When you arrive at 6AM in the morning in Sorong the Blue Manta crew will be there to pick you up at the SOQ airport and take you to the boat. Easy-peasy.

If you worry about international flight get cancelled or delayed & your luggage is not coming with you to Jakarta, then fly from Cleveland a day earlier for contingency. The SQ flight from Singapore ro Jakarta is about every 2 hours. If your luggage don’t make at 10AM. It might be there by noon. And you have 14 hour layover in Jakarta. I usually book the Anara hotel above international arrival gate at terminal 3. After 10 hour nap in the hotel. I drag my bag upstairs to level 3 to check in at 10PM at Garuda departure check-in counter.

The OP wants to see nice reefs so I don't think Socorro applies. Mantas, dolphins and sharks then yes Socorro is absolutely amazing and not to be missed!
I think I mentioned it in my post about all Easter Pacific corals are pathetic.

IMHO @bvbellomo If you are looking for easy then I would wait on Raja... It is a brutal travel experience for most people since it requires a red eye flight at the tale end of an already brutal long haul flight (I have been there 2 times already this year).
Not for me.
- I’ll arrive at 10AM in CGK,
- walk upstairs to level 2,
- check in at Anara hotel,
- sleep for 8 hours,
- wake up at say at 8PM,
- have a nice dinner at a nice restaurants on level 3
- check out from the hotel at 10PM
- check in to Garuda flight on level 3.

Back
Top Bottom