Easy to reach Pacific reef destinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bali is not in Pacific, but it’s in Indonesia. You can fly to Denpasar from many international airports.

I just came back from a liveaboard 12-21 August 2024 trip Bali-Komodo-Bali on Mermaid 1.

I flew on Eva Air Houston-Taipei-Denpasar.

Bali is not in Pacific, but it’s in Indonesia. You can fly to Denpasar from many international airport.

I just came back from a liveaboard 12-21 August 2024 trip Bali-Komodo-Bali on Mermaid 1.

I flew on Eva Air Houston-Taipei-Denpasar.
I am not exactly sure where they draw the lines that separate oceans. I want to see reefs that are different from what I've seen in Cozumel and Bahamas, and Bali certainly qualifies.

This is a great example of what I am looking for. I can do Mermaid (I or II), spend more time underwater than in the air, and not worry about going over the 2 weeks my employer gives me. Unfortunately, it is only June - August and looks like it sells out far ahead of time. Is there a way to find more trips like this out of Bali without going through every liveaboard individually? Are there any similar trips at other destinations (e.g. Tubbataha from Manilia)?

I am not exactly sure where they draw the lines that separate oceans. I want to see reefs that are different from what I've seen in Cozumel and Bahamas, and Bali certainly qualifies.

This is a great example of what I am looking for. I can do Mermaid (I or II), spend more time underwater than in the air, and not worry about going over the 2 weeks my employer gives me. Unfortunately, it is only June - August and looks like it sells out far ahead of time. Is there a way to find more trips like this out of Bali without going through every liveaboard individually? Are there any similar trips at other destinations (e.g. Tubbataha from Manilia)?

Tubbataha is a good one. I just came back from it in June 2024. See my trip video, below. You may still do a domestic flight from Manila to Puerto Princesa, which you will loose another 2 days for the domestic roundtrip.

Or go to Anilao, if you like muck diving. Anilao is just 2 hour drive from Manila. I went to Anilao after Tubbataha. I’m working on finishing my trip video of Anilao. Will post it here if you are interested.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Maldives yet. I don't know what flights look like from Ohio but from DC on Emirates it was 2 flights with a short layover. Liveaboards departing out of Male will send their dhoni to pick you up literally at the airport and you'll be on the liveaboard in less than 10 minutes.

There are other itineraries of course that may involve another domestic flight.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Maldives yet. I don't know what flights look like from Ohio but from DC on Emirates it was 2 flights with a short layover. Liveaboards departing out of Male will send their dhoni to pick you up literally at the airport and you'll be on the liveaboard in less than 10 minutes.

There are other itineraries of course that may involve another domestic flight.

Maldives is so so as far as coral reef.

Raja Ampat is actually your best choice. Just fly to Jakarta. You can continue with nonstop 4-hour flight, from Jakarta to Sorong, leaving at midnight, so you won’t lose a day layover. I can provide you some details if you decide to do such a trip.

Raja Ampat is actually your best choice. Just fly to Jakarta. You can continue with nonstop 4-hour flight, from Jakarta to Sorong, leaving at midnight, so you won’t lose a day layover. I can provide you some details if you decide to do such a trip.

I agree Raja Ampat is my best choice as far as diving. Google flights has me flying American from CLE to DFW to NRT. This much I trust. Then I need a Japan Airlines or All Nippon Airways flight to Jakarta, an even less reliable flight to Sorong, and potentially transportation from the Sorong airport to the liveaboard. Very easy to lose a day or two in Tokyo or Jakarta, either going there or coming back. So best case I need 48 hours each way, but probably need to plan 96, and even that is optimistic. I don't see how I have enough dive time to make this actually worthwhile. If I had the option to leave for 3 weeks, certainly I would do it.

Maldives is so so as far as coral reef.
Sure it's no Indonesia but it's definitely better than the Caribbean. It has a lot more wildlife and more currents. Overall it's much more accessible than Raja Ampat and I think would be a good option for OP. Being picked up at the airport by dhoni is something everyone should experience!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom