Easy/shallow dive in Key West?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OnTheMark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just got certified (last weekend in fact) with my two sons. While we learned a lot, I would not say it was exactly fun, but certainly useful. Our last 2 dives were great even with the skill drills. But now I want is to have a simple, fun dive without anyone pulling out mask off or anything so the boys truly fall in love with scuba.

We are planning a weekend trip to Key West over labor day. I'm looking for a boat dive that does 2 dives in a morning or afternoon where both are less than our qualified 60' requirement. Honesty, I'd be fine if they were no where near our 60'. I don't want they boys to be concerned about anything; just enjoy the dive.

Any suggestions on 2 shallowish dives or a dive shop to go through in Key West?

I just got certified (last weekend in fact) with my two sons. While we learned a lot, I would not say it was exactly fun, but certainly useful. Our last 2 dives were great even with the skill drills. But now I want is to have a simple, fun dive without anyone pulling out mask off or anything so the boys truly fall in love with scuba.

We are planning a weekend trip to Key West over labor day. I'm looking for a boat dive that does 2 dives in a morning or afternoon where both are less than our qualified 60' requirement. Honesty, I'd be fine if they were no where near our 60'. I don't want they boys to be concerned about anything; just enjoy the dive.

Any suggestions on 2 shallowish dives or a dive shop to go through in Key West?
Ask Finz dive center. You’re looking for an afternoon 2 tank, as mornings are mostly on Vandenberg. But for better shallow diving, go to Looe Key and dive with Looe Key Dive Center or Capt Hooks big pine Key.

Several years ago before my wife and I got certified, we were in Key West and did a Discover Scuba dive. They took us out on a shallow reef with a max of around 30-35 feet. So they are available. You may just need to check with some of the dive ops there to see which one can accommodate you.

We have used Captain Hooks and they are a decent shop, no complaints. Just got back from Key Largo with Rainbow Reef and if you want shallow most of the reef dives you can stay above 30'. We used Southpoint divers out of Key West but that was for the Vandenberg.

Ask Finz dive center. You’re looking for an afternoon 2 tank, as mornings are mostly on Vandenberg. But for better shallow diving, go to Looe Key and dive with Looe Key Dive Center or Capt Hooks big pine Key.
But only if your kids are happy to see some sharks. It's a very healthy reef with a good population of big fish, and I've usually seen reef sharks there, and big Goliaths too. It's only 25' max and the water is usually full of people so it's a very comfortable setting to take new divers, especially if they want to see sharks.

Having just been in the Keys diving, I highly recommend Captain Hook’s over Looe Key dive Center ( I dove with both). Better diving in Key Largo but you may not want to drive to the upper Keys. Diving in Marathon was easy and shallow reefs.

Having just been in the Keys diving, I highly recommend Captain Hook’s over Looe Key dive Center ( I dove with both). Better diving in Key Largo but you may not want to drive to the upper Keys. Diving in Marathon was easy and shallow reefs.
Since my wife worked for Captain Hook's until quite recently, I didn't want to say anything, but I quite agree. Having hired folks out of Looe Key Dive Center, I really agree.

although not in Key West but in your way there is KeyDives in Islamorada. We've done few dives with KeyDives out of Bud N' Mary Marina. My sons learned to dive in Islamorada, and KeyDives do a great job with newbies. Highly recommend !

I don’t have a dive site or shop suggestion but ai have another suggestion. Since it’s you and two kids and your very first dives alone, maybe look for a shop where you can hire a divemaster to Dive with you. I don’t know how young your kids are, but if one of them has an issue are you prepared enough to be able to help? Also, watching over kids and significant others while diving can distract from the dive. If you want to really have a worry free good first experience with your kids, hiring a guide or dive master can be a great experience.

I once looked into a shore dive from Zachary Taylor State Beach at the very South tip of Key West. Didn't do it and don't know the exact logistics, but may be worth a look and inquire locally or on the Florida sub forum?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom