East Coast U-boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Herman!

How are you! You know, you are mighty important fellow--I do not know if folks realize that, with the exception of KN and LD, you have the longest history as a resident of this Board! There ought to be some sort of "smile" down by your "signature" to indicate that...just "herman" does not do you justice!

And we will keep you aware of our NC plans, indeed. Further, Barbara and I would be more than delighted to meet you and do something fun!

Joewr...

Thanks Joe,

Think I was #16 or so. I don't comment quite as much as I use to, in the beginning there were only a few of us so we all had to comment just to keep things lively but now there are enough to keep things going. I still try to read all the post but it's getting hard to do and there is no way I can comment on all of them so I try to limit it to ones I can be of help on. Do let me know if you get in the area. Maybe I can take some time and show you around.

I live in Greenville, NC and am familiar with many of the wrecks mentioned. The U352 is a good dive, about 125' to the sand. I think everyone should do that dive at least once. If you ever decided to dive out of Morehead/Beaufort, NC, Sea Tales and The Pelican are the best charters in my opinion.

I would also be interested in reading your trip report, TM. In reading the uboat.net accounts it mentioned the U853 was straffed by planes from the USS Croatan in June, 1944. My Dad was a Radarman on the Croatan till September, 1945. I might have to look into this as a future dive trip in a year or two.

2 of my dive buddies dove one of the U-boats down in N.C. The dive company advertised the wreck like it was the best thing since sliced pineapples. Once they got down there, they couldn't make anything out. All the really saw was a hatch on the sub. They were VERY disappointed.

If diving the U-352 you should try to do it from Olympus of Olympus Diving. The capt is George Purifoy and he was one of the three that discovered it back in '73. The dive shio is a mini museum to the sub and the German survivors are personal friends of George's. His Son Bob runs the Midnight Express out of Olympus and he too has some insight that makes the sub really special.

Hi all,

For those who do not wish to wait for the experience of a liftime, There are several trips to Morehead City with the same charter group that Texasmike mentioned. They are : memorial day weekend, July 4-8 , July 27-30, august 10-12 and the NC Seafood Festival trip that TM is on. I will be on all of these trips. I have logged over 50+ dives with this operator and it remain my favorite diving experience. Not only is there the U-352, but many casualties of the many U-boat that visited our coast. The famous Paposse (I've seen over 60 Sandtiger Sharks at one time on this wreck), The Schutz (WWI Gunboat Rammmed by SS Florida), Caribsea, The Atlas Tanker, The Aeolus ( cool Artificial), the Hutton, Neoco (A Rare Treat).

Please Visit www.ncwreckdiving.com and check all the services this charter provides. Her prices are better than all the other, b/c she books the boat and the hotel years in advance. The charter company totes all the tanks for you ( That my job btw) They can arrange largeer cylinders and special mix gases for those of us that are into that kinda stuff.

If you have any further questions give me a yell : divingsolo@yahoo.com

RC

Hello all.
I usually do the 853 with a friend of mine who runs a small charterboat out of Charlestown, RI. It would be tough to set up a trip that way, though. Give me some time and I'll try to post some locals who'll take you there. What's been said so far is partly true. The U-853 is at 130' the deck is around 110' the conning tower at 90'. The whole wreck lists about 30 degrees. There are some very large holes in the hull from the DCs and hedgehogs dropped on her. The remains of her 43 man crew can still be found. Visibility on the wreck is 10 on a GOOD day. Usually one must use the "pull n' glide." Virtually all of the wreck is penetrable if you know what you're doing. The biggest problem is that there can be 3-4 boats tied-up at a time with some obnoxious salvagers crawling all over it. Obviously this is bad for vis. The only good thing is that it can be reached within an hour depending on your point of departure. It is 7 mi. off the NE shore of Block Island, RI.

Originally posted by CajunKelpi
Just wondering if anyone has dove some of the U-boats up on the East coast (U-85, U-352, U-701, U-853 & U-1105). I'd like to try and dive some of these next year.

I know of U-352 and U-853. But what about the other 3, I've
not heard of them. Does anyone know where they are and
what their divesite conditions are?

-Jeff

I haven't dove any of these . The U85 and U701 are off of Hatteras NC in the 100 ft range. The U1105 is in the Chesapeake Bay in about 100 ft of dark cold Bay water. They also for got the
U869 of "The Last Dive" Fame in 240 ft of cold NJ water. Hope this helps.:jester:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom