East Coast U-boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CajunKelpi

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has dove some of the U-boats up on the East coast (U-85, U-352, U-701, U-853 & U-1105). I'd like to try and dive some of these next year. How was it, and what dive operator did you use?

Safe diving y'all,
Steve

I'll be diving with NC Wreck Diving the first weekend of October. They dive on several war casualty wrecks including U-352. I know several divers who have been with this operator and have spoken highly of them.

One of the neet things is that they have several instructors on staff who can get you certified in wreck diving and other disciplines that apply to the dive profiles.

I will be posting a trip report on my return. For more information, click the link provided above.

Let us know TM. Diving on the NC U-Boats is one of those Life Dives

Any room on this trip??? Need a Dive Master? I am ready to go check out a U-Boat. History like that just fascinates me to no end!

:tease:

Pete...actually, yes...there is still room for the October trip.....

If you dig a bit on the website I provided, you will find a phone number for Kamala, the Wreck Wench, who is the charter owner....she is a real neat lady and will be glad to answer your questions. Call her and see what you can book.

Be really nifty if you can come along. Think of all the song parodies we can invent!

If anyone ever heads down that way, there's 4 or so First World War submarines (yes, they had them back then) scuttled in Port Phillip Bay, Melbourne, Australia. All are 40m or less, 3 less than 30m. One is broken in two and you can do a swim-thru from one end to the other. Haven't dived them yet but will the next time I'm back home.

Hi Steve,

Just a bit of information for you, don't know what your cert level or experience level is but be aware that many of the dive operators here in NC (at least the ones you want to dive with) require as a minimum an AOW with some experience, in addition some require a deep or wreck cert as well on some of the more demanding dives. Our diving is not for the beginner. A typical dive is a 2 to 3 hr boat ride, each way, with dives in the 90 to 120 ft range, 15 minutes of bottom time, a 2 hr surface interval before another 15 min dive. All of which can be in seas that range from flat to 6 ft. If you have not gotten aboard a boat in 5 ft seas, it's an experience you will not soon forget. On the good side, the wrecks are great and the fish life includes tropicals as well as sharks. Large tiger sharks are common and will get close to divers, some times too close for comfort. Before planning a trip, make sure you know what certification level the dive operator requires.

I'm a PADI divemaster, so that shouldn't be a problem. I have NOT been certified in deep or wrecks, although I have done lots of the former and only played around the latter. I would love to learn wreck penetraion, but would want a GOOD class on that first. Call me chicken, but I just enjoy the outside of wrecks for now!

As for Yak attacks... I am and will always be, the OFFICIAL SCUBABOARD CHUMMER!!! I say that without shame or hesitation... although it does leave a bad taste in my mouth :tease: I have dove in 8 ft seas, and would not want to repeat that if possible. I think I still have that knot on my head from the ladder! Uh, maybe its just that I act that way...

:tease:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom