East Coast U-boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by CGoheen
26 August U352 with Olympus Dive Charters. $100 a day, 2 dives (second dive that day was on "Schurze"). Be sure and reserve your tanks ahead of time, some of our tour waited until the night before, and there weren't enough tanks -- yes they have nitrox. The Charter does not provide food or snacks. They do have water on board.

Cloudy, 78 degrees, 3-5ft swells. Olympus uses "flippers on" ladders and they instruct you to leave your mask on, regulator in, and flippers on as you board the boat. My first time in the deep blue, and their instructions got me on the ladder and on the boat the first time.

The U352 is at 110+ feet, the temperature was 62 degrees with the thermal cline at 70 feet (5MM was fine for my cold blood), visibility only 20 feet, minor current.

For a relatively novice diver this was a great dive even with only 20 feet max visibility (The quarry usually only has 15 feet). My air let me stay down almost 15 min, what a hog. I need more bottom time, means more practice.

wow thanks for the great info -- am trying to plan a not-so-surprise b'day present (how do you wrap up a charter to a sub?) for someone, this is just the kind of info I need to help decide on the when...

Barbara and I are notorious Candy A_s Divers, but I think we might be able to handle this with 5mm suits and 3mm vests--really! There is nothing like an historic wreck dive or the chance to see sharks to get us ready to go!

CGoheen, could you tell us a little more about the condition of the U-Boat and a little more about what you saw?

Thanks again!

Joewr

but #1 Candy**s Joewr going in water 20 degrees colder than norm? You OK pal? What have you been drinking, surely not your hot tea?

I would also like more info on this dive. It sounds like a must do. Maybe we can arrange a group dive there JOewr.

My face may turn this blue, Socaldiver, but since we will probably not meet at Catalina next summer, we may have to shoot for North Carolina!

Let's work on it! But we need to keep it a secret or I might get drummed out of the CAD...even though I am one of the founders, the rules are fairly strict! So, mums the word...

Joewr...quoting Winston Churchill: "... the truth is so precious that she should be attended by a bodyguard of lies."

Originally posted by joewr
My face may turn this blue, Socaldiver, but since we will probably not meet at Catalina next summer, we may have to shoot for North Carolina!

Let's work on it! But we need to keep it a secret or I might get drummed out of the CAD...even though I am one of the founders, the rules are fairly strict! So, mums the word...

If I get the details together, and really work on the charter - I'm looking at the April/May time frame... want to come along?

PS the surprise is for OD -- so you may not want to come..... but for the offer of beer, he'll behave (for awhile)..

DG,

I am still stuck here on the "left coast" but if all goes well I should be back on the "easy coast" by then and would love to tag along. Especially if my "bud" to the north can take the giant stride.

I was looking at several websites last night and NC seems to be a "hotspot" for wrecks. I came across one that brought back memories. There is a Navy ship that was sunk as part of an artifical reef, USS Yancey. That ship was in our squadron way back in the 60s. Made a couple of "Med Cruises" looking out over the mighty blue at that ship. Would love to descend down to visit that as well.

Another soon to be artifical reef in Fl was among our squadron also, USS San Marcos. That will be cool to see as well.

DG and SCD,

Could be a possiblity...Barbara and I will be in Micronesia in March and in the Caribbean in early July. So, a week in May might work for us. We will be looking at 5mm wet suits in the next few weeks--do you know what the water temp would be in May? I am being dead serious here! If I am a Candy A__ Diver, Barbara is a Super Candy A__ Diver!

Beer is not a problem! I'll bring along some...you just make sure his choke chain is in good shape!

Joewr

Originally posted by joewr
DG and SCD,
... So, a week in May might work for us. We will be looking at 5mm wet suits in the next few weeks--do you know what the water temp would be in May? I am being dead serious here! ...
Beer is not a problem! I'll bring along some...you just make sure his choke chain is in good shape! Joewr

I'll check into details, and will keep you informed. The choke chain -- that's your problem

Joe,
If you decide to come and dive in my backyard, let me know. I would enjoy the opportunity to meet you and maybe do some diving together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom