Easily Disassembled Secondary Second

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

certainmisuse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

That's a mouth full. I'm looking for a secondary second stage that is simple (relatively fewer parts) and easily broken down (without proprietary tools) in order to better understand how second stages work and to perhaps perform minor maintenance with myself. It needs to be reliable and fairly cheap, less than $200 hopefully. I don't plan to do any serious diving with it, and I'm not too concerned if I break something.

So far, I'm thinking the ScubaPro R195. I used to have a R295, doh!. OK, what say you?

Thanks.

David

Hello,

That's a mouth full. I'm looking for a secondary second stage that is simple (relatively fewer parts) and easily broken down (without proprietary tools) in order to better understand how second stages work and to perhaps perform minor maintenance with myself. It needs to be reliable and fairly cheap, less than $200 hopefully. I don't plan to do any serious diving with it, and I'm not too concerned if I break something.

So far, I'm thinking the ScubaPro R195. I used to have a R295, doh!. OK, what say you?

Thanks.

David

Are you talking about a "second stage" by itself or are you talking about a "first" and "second" stage combo, a complete dive regulator?

Easiest is probably a Conshelf 1085. Of course that’s probably not very helpful if your goal is to service a modern second stage.

Depends on what is on your "how it works" agenda. You can get a lot of very simple basic design 2nd stages to play with, but that is not likely to educate you on Venturi adjustments, balanced 2nd stages, or opening/cracking pressure. And most of those more "advanced" features have multiple different designs to accomplish the same end, depending on the brand/model/generation.

If you really want to gain an in depth and detailed general, conceptual understanding rather than a brand/model specific "how to" tutorial, consider something like this:
Regulator Savvy Book | Scuba Tools

Depends on what is on your "how it works" agenda. You can get a lot of very simple basic design 2nd stages to play with, but that is not likely to educate you on Venturi adjustments, balanced 2nd stages, or opening/cracking pressure. And most of those more "advanced" features have multiple different designs to accomplish the same end, depending on the brand/model/generation.

If you really want to gain an in depth and detailed general, conceptual understanding rather than a brand/model specific "how to" tutorial, consider something like this:
Regulator Savvy Book | Scuba Tools

Thanks, I'll check it out.

An old Sherwood second are quite simple and not a bad second. I worked up from there.

Bob

Hello,

Thanks.

David

I think that a US Divers Conshelf second stage would pretty much match all your criteria. You can get one on EBay for about $25-50 in plastic or chrome (I like the shiny chrome ones). It's easier to find one with the first stage included for $50-100. You can download service manuals and get service kits from vintagedoublehose.com

After you do a Conshelf, if you want to advance to the next stage of complexity, I would suggest a Scubapro 109 or 156. You can find them on EBay for less than $100. You may need to get one with a first stage included (same price point). Service manuals and service kits are also available from vintagedoublehose.com

These regs are old but parts and manuals are easy to obtain and free advice if you have a question is readily available on this forum.

Apeks. T20 or ATX20.
The new Apeks 2nd is more or less the same.
Special tool: disposal chopstick

I have a few Conshelf 1085 seconds, rebuilt and working that I could give up at a reasonable price (with O-rings and seat to rebuild). Message me if you're interested!

Back
Top Bottom