Easily Disassembled Secondary Second

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or you buy a modern Deep6 second stage for their blue Friday sales price of $85 and have actually a great stage to dive.

Or you buy a modern Deep6 second stage for their blue Friday sales price of $85 and have actually a great stage to dive.
+1

You have Deep6 and Edge/HOG HQs almost in your back yard. Both suppport the trained-owner service model. Why don't you see if either is doing a service class in-house anytime soon.

@certainmisuse what regulators did you end up buying for yourself? Scubapro hasn't really changed their second stage design in 50+ years. Granted no one else really has either, but you can get parts kits for most of them from @Bryan@Vintage Double Hose and he actually has not only the manuals on his website, but also has videos on Youtube for how to service them.
I would recommend getting a used 1st/2nd stage setup so you have a spare reg set and have at least the 2nd stages be of the same design as your current regs.
I.e. if you have a MK25/G260 set, you can find a MK10/109 or MK10/156 set pretty easily. The regulators are all the same basic design and the parts between the second stages are actually interchangeable.

@certainmisuse what regulators did you end up buying for yourself? Scubapro hasn't really changed their second stage design in 50+ years. Granted no one else really has either, but you can get parts kits for most of them from @Bryan@Vintage Double Hose and he actually has not only the manuals on his website, but also has videos on Youtube for how to service them.
I would recommend getting a used 1st/2nd stage setup so you have a spare reg set and have at least the 2nd stages be of the same design as your current regs.
I.e. if you have a MK25/G260 set, you can find a MK10/109 or MK10/156 set pretty easily. The regulators are all the same basic design and the parts between the second stages are actually interchangeable.

I still have not made the purchase yet, just waiting to get over to the shop, but I plan to go with either the MK11/C370 or the MK17/G260.

I still have not made the purchase yet, just waiting to get over to the shop, but I plan to go with either the MK11/C370 or the MK17/G260.

If you go MK17/G260, then any of the old 109/156/g series will be identical in form and function to the guts of the new regulator. If you're going to learn how they work and how to fix them, why not do it with the regulator that they evolved into?

If you go MK17/G260, then any of the old 109/156/g series will be identical in form and function to the guts of the new regulator. If you're going to learn how they work and how to fix them, why not do it with the regulator that they evolved into?

Yes, definitely a good reason to consider that setup. Is there an equivalent legacy with the MK11/C370 system, particularly the C370? As I understand it, the MK17 is basically an MK11 but with the additional parts to fully environmentally seal it.

MK17 is what it is. Scubapro is a piston company not a diaphragm company and while the MK17 is a very good first stage, their bread and butter for 60 years has been pistons.
@DA Aquamaster may have better history on the second stages, but I'm not aware of any older models of the C370. Since it is balanced and user-adjustable the guts will be based on the 156 as pretty much all balanced-adjustable second stages are *Apeks, HOG, Deep6, etc etc*, but I'd be shocked if the parts were interchangeable.

Watched Bryan clean up a 109; excellent video! After watching, I'm starting to lean towards the G260 for my primary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom