Ears blocked for 5 weeks after SCUBA diving :( help

Does this sound like eustachian tube dysfunction?

• Yes

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope mine resolves soon !
Once i see the ent i will update with my diagnosis ,
Also if it is middle ear barotrauma is that a much easier issue to heal from then eustachian tube dysfunction ?

You can think of ETD as the cause for middle ear barotrauma - they aren't separate conditions.

Ideally, when you dive, your middle ear spaces equalizes with ambient pressure through the ET. If you have ETD (either chronic or temporary, as with an upper respiratory tract infection), that equalization won't work well. If you continue to descend despite an inability to equalize, you can cause middle ear barotrauma. The trick is to go slow, and not to ever let the pressure gradient get too large. If you can't equalize at one depth, it's only going to be worse when you go deeper. Slow down, stop or even ascend a bit until your ears equalize.

Honestly, it was so long ago, it could have been a steroid or placebo. lol :) I just recall whatever drops she was putting in her ear seemed to not do much, if anything, instead, time was the cure.

Yeah, ear drops have absolutely no effect on middle ear ventilation. They are strictly for problems of the outer ear, like otitis externa ("swimmer's ear"). However, outer and middle ear symptoms overlap, and they can be hard to distinguish without an examination.

You can think of ETD as the cause for middle ear barotrauma - they aren't separate conditions.

Ideally, when you dive, your middle ear spaces equalizes with ambient pressure through the ET. If you have ETD (either chronic or temporary, as with an upper respiratory tract infection), that equalization won't work well. If you continue to descend despite an inability to equalize, you can cause middle ear barotrauma. The trick is to go slow, and not to ever let the pressure gradient get too large. If you can't equalize at one depth, it's only going to be worse when you go deeper. Slow down, stop or even ascend a bit until your ears equalize.
Okay makes sense , but as for my issue now , is it likely that it will heal overtime ? Just by waiting it out . Is this common

They also know how to take cash, check and credit cards. :cool:

I hope the OP updates this thread with her ENT diagnosis.

As an anecdote. My better half had severe MEBT. Her dad, who is a doctor prescribed antibiotics as the risk for infection was high. Ultimately though she just had to tough it out for about 6 weeks or so with the fullness/fluid in the ear feeling.
It just went away on its own ?

Okay makes sense , but as for my issue now , is it likely that it will heal overtime ? Just by waiting it out . Is this common

Well, I really can't tell you what is going on in your ears specifically, all comments here are a general discussion and not medical advice. But I can tell you that middle ear barotrauma usually does resolve spontaneously over time if there has been no significant injury beyond the accumulation of middle ear fluid. For more specific advice, you would need to see an ENT doctor for an examination.

Good luck!

Yep general advice here and you really should go see the ENT to find out what is wrong with your ears specifically and how to resolve the problem. Probably it would have already healed long time ago if it would be likely to go away by itself so I would not wait any further. Ideally you would go to the ENT immediately after a scuba related ear injury just like I did, if having more serious damage it is not likely to heal by itself without medical help and proper inspection will help even with minor injuries and gives you a piece of mind. Even if not wanting to dive again in near future you will want to be able to fly with being able to equalize and the balance issues will affect everyday life so they need to be resolved

It just went away on its own ?
Hers did, but like others have said, maybe you have something else going on and you should just go to an ENT. Re-reading your original incident, twice your ears were under significant stress for nearly a minute each time and that is why I "assume" it is taking a long time to heal.

Do your ears feel like they are getting better?

If you can't equalize at one depth, it's only going to be worse when you go deeper. Slow down, stop or even ascend a bit until your ears equalize.

Best advice ever.

I found by ascending a bit, or arching my back so my head ascends a bit, does the trick. With me it seems after several of these evolutions I can equalize "normally". I use this for free diving as well as scuba, it's kind of a pita, but is well worth the time, as my ears don't bother me after diving since I instituted the procedure.

Bob

Oh, you are referring to my recipe for salad dressing, right? One part olive oil, one part garlic oil, and one part earwax.

:D

I had a crazy painful ear infection in college. I had friends suggest olive oil, pepper on a cotton ball, lemon juice mixed with vinegar. (Separate people who didn't know each other, so they weren't playing a joke on me....although there's plenty of stories when they did.) it was sooooo embarrassing when I told the doctor what I'd tried. He asked if I shoved any romaine lettuce in there too. :dork2:

Many94, I hope it starts to clear up. I've had my share of ear issues. A good ENT is very helpful. When I first started diving I had a similar issue as you. A lot of time and prescribe steroids eventually worked. Best wishes to you!

I had a crazy painful ear infection in college. I had friends suggest olive oil, pepper on a cotton ball, lemon juice mixed with vinegar. (Separate people who didn't know each other, so they weren't playing a joke on me....although there's plenty of stories when they did.) it was sooooo embarrassing when I told the doctor what I'd tried. He asked if I shoved any romaine lettuce in there too. :dork2:

Many94, I hope it starts to clear up. I've had my share of ear issues. A good ENT is very helpful. When I first started diving I had a similar issue as you. A lot of time and prescribe steroids eventually worked. Best wishes to you!
Thanks kristen !
How long did it take for yours ears to recover from the similar issue you had to mine ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom