Blocked Ear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Symes - the editor-in-chief and publisher of X-Ray Magazine - also has a good article about ET dilation in the last issue:

Equalising Ears: Eustachian Tube Balloon Dilation
Hi,
do you happen to have any recent data on complications due to the procedure.
I know that tinnitus occurs quite often after the dilation.
My significant other cannot dive due to a Eustachian tube malfunction.

Hi,
do you happen to have any recent data on complications due to the procedure.
I know that tinnitus occurs quite often after the dilation.
My significant other cannot dive due to a Eustachian tube malfunction.

Sorry, I don't do the procedure myself, I don't know that...

Here's one article I found: Complications of eustachian tube balloon dilation: Manufacturer and User Facility Device Experience (MAUDE) database analysis and literature review - PubMed

Fifty five full-length manuscripts involving 7155 patients were included and 98 complications reported for a 1.4% complication rate. The most frequently reported adverse events were subcutaneous emphysema of the head and neck (19%), epistaxis (12%), and acute otitis media (11%). The MAUDE search returned 18 distinct patient entries, of which 12 (67%) reported complications. The most reported complications in the MAUDE database included subcutaneous emphysema (8, 67%) and pneumomediastinum (3, 25%). The most serious complication was a carotid artery dissection reported in one patient in the MAUDE database.

I had heard about carotid artery injury - that is supposed to be extremely rare, and while I don't have the original paper in this meta-analysis, that may have been from the days before CT scans were routinely done prior to the dilation.

I had never heard about the subcutaneous emphysema (air in the soft tissue of the face/neck) or pneumomediastinum (air in the chest, between the lungs). That's concerning, but again 3 out of over 7000 patients, and I don't have the details of those cases...

Here's another meta analysis: Effect of balloon dilatation among adult population with eustachian tube dysfunction: a systematic review - PubMed

In this one, they say that "the incidence of complications was categorized as low and resolving spontaneously"

Back
Top Bottom