Earned a Lionfish Badge at Evans Crary in Stuart

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To whack Lions is to get hit.
I tell people that are subject to "Anaphylactic Shock" from bees, wasps, fire ants, and such to STAY AWAY!
I regularly dive with a lady that has this issue, and she has developed into a primo spotter.
The best part is that she is a "Vegan/Vegetarian" and does not eat animals.
but she has no problems with me keeping her share of the Lions.
Chug
Got zapped again yesterday, being careless.
The pain was all gone by the time I surfaced.

Made my own for $50. One trip to lowe's and another trip to ace hardware for all the ss clips, screws,bolts,etc...

I'm curious. From what I understand, some lobster hunters use some sort of 'kevlar gloves' (?) for reaching in holes and grabbing spiny lobster, to protect themselves from injuries due to abrasive coral, lobster exoskeletons and moray eel bites.

Could a person not wear such a protective glove on one hand, that runs up past the elbow, and use that hand to pull nailed lion fish off the spear & put it in the container without getting stung?

Richard.

I drilled three holes, then use para cord and a clip.
6yze7e6e.jpg

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4

Is this still an issue with the model or has it been resolved? Or is it due to not screwing it on tight enough?

---------- Post added June 30th, 2014 at 09:10 AM ----------

one can earn that badge on the vitric wreck offshore key largo as well. lionfish everywhere @ 300FT. was sent this video this AM,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2v-VBUa2Pg

reefman
key largo

Seeing all those LF makes me sick to my stomach. They'll just continue to spawn and increase in numbers.

---------- Post added June 30th, 2014 at 09:10 AM ----------

Made my own for $50. One trip to lowe's and another trip to ace hardware for all the ss clips, screws,bolts,etc...

Do you have pictures of a design description?

---------- Post added June 30th, 2014 at 09:12 AM ----------

To whack Lions is to get hit.
I tell people that are subject to "Anaphylactic Shock" from bees, wasps, fire ants, and such to STAY AWAY!
I regularly dive with a lady that has this issue, and she has developed into a primo spotter.
The best part is that she is a "Vegan/Vegetarian" and does not eat animals.
but she has no problems with me keeping her share of the Lions.
Chug
Got zapped again yesterday, being careless.
The pain was all gone by the time I surfaced.

[Jealous]I consider my hit mild even though my thumb is still slightly swollen after 5 days later. But for it to to be over with in under an hour...[/Jealous]

leather arm length welding gloves. :D

If the boat you were on has an outboard motor, you can hold your hand under the 'tinkle' stream of it while the boat is idling(or fill your mask case from it). It will give you some hot water for relief. The quicker you can get it on hot water the faster the venom will weaken. Sometimes as fast at 30 mins, depending on severity(hits)

Yea, I talked to the capt about ways to get hot water, but each idea was dismissed for some reason. When I continue hunting, I'll have some heat pads in my dive kit.

one can earn that badge on the vitric wreck offshore key largo as well. lionfish everywhere @ 300FT. was sent this video this AM,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo
Holy crap! I quit counting at 70.. don't know if any were double counted.. but there were a couple spots of 10!!!!

Is this still an issue with the model or has it been resolved? Or is it due to not screwing it on tight enough?

That I don't know. The designer of the Zookeeper was on the boat when it happened. The bottom was screwed on tight enough, it had to do with the amount of water pressing down on the bottom as it was lifted out. I got my Zookeeper shortly afterwards, so did the holes thing as a precaution. Have not had an issue.. yet...

Yea, I talked to the capt about ways to get hot water, but each idea was dismissed for some reason. When I continue hunting, I'll have some heat pads in my dive kit.
Heat pads aren't hot enough. Just carry a thermos of hot water..

reefman
key largo

:dropmouth:

Do they make a gatling speargun, by chance? That's nearing "nuke the site from orbit" levels of infestation.

As far as stings, yeah I suppose it is subjective to some degree. Last August I got pinked by what was probably a juvenile southern ray; luckily for me the spine didn't break off and probably just barely got through my 5-mil boot. Hurt like an amped-up bee sting for about an hour and then it went away; I was far more annoyed that since it was an on-the-job injury and I did need a visit to the doc (tetanus shot wasn't up to date and I felt that might be an issue) I had to call in to our company's safety office for a conversation that had me bashing my head on the dashboard.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom