Early December, weather and how busy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverjen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I posted a long meandering post in General Travel, got no responses, lol, so now I am boiling it down here to two Questions:

1. Weather: How is the weather and the amount of people in early December. Thinking about 1-2 weeks at the very beginning of December. We have been in late October and late May early June. We had a nice time during the last week of October 2011 and enjoyed the warmer water temps (got a bit cold in May), but it was more the wind reversal than the rain that bothered us at that time (although we still had a great time and would still go back in October). In May/June it was starting to get pretty windy by the end of our trip which affected ease of entry, to me that is a bigger deal than lowered viz from rain. I have looked at the stats and seen that the rain should be about the same as October, a higher chance of wind reversals than May/June but less than October. So, I think it will be about the same, but perhaps slightly better time of year than late October for weather.

2. How Busy?: One thing we loved about October was how quiet the island was compared to May/June. Not a huge deal, but will it be busier in early December than the May/June timeframe? Just something to consider. I know its still technically the low season, but its kind of shoulder season as is May.

Any other Thoughts about early December, how soon to book, etc.

Thanks for the help, I just miss diving and want to start thinking of another trip. If you have been to Thailand, check out my other thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/redirect-to/?redirect=http://2sb.us/501490

Last edited:
Only been to Bon once in early December and there was a wind reversal and rain all week. Bad vis as a result as well.
I've never found Bon to be busy or crowded, even in high season.
That is one of the joys of the place.

We've been arriving mid-December and staying 3 weeks through New Year's for the past 6 years. We've also enjoyed Bonaire at other times of the year including February, May, June, August, and late September.

Weather: Even the "rainy season" on Bonaire is usually pretty dry compared to the rest of the Caribbean, but November and December are usually the wettest months. Check out these statistics for more info. In all of our trips to Bonaire over the years we've only experienced one extended period of rainy weather that lasted a week or more. That was in late December during a wetter than normal year for the region. Our late September trip was the most challenging weather-wise, due to high air temperatures and lack of breeze during that time of year. We were perspiring profusely whenever we weren't in the water or sleeping in our air conditioned bedroom. After experiencing both we'll take rain over lack of breeze any day.

Busy: June through October is the best if you like to avoid the crowds as much as possible. November & early December are still within the low season rates for most properties, but cruise ship season is in full swing and winter weather has North Americans thinking about warm water. That said, early December is certainly quieter than late December and January and February. We can feel the energy building as the island fills up during our winter visits. I agree with your assessment that May/June and November/December are shoulder seasons. But there are no cruise ship passengers in May/June vs. 50,000+ cruisers visiting Bonaire in November/December.

My advice on when to book: Now! Seriously though, book as soon as you're willing to commit to the trip, especially if your favorite property has high demand and/or limited availability.

Back
Top Bottom