Early 1970's Bauer Capitano Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have a good compressor!

I was able to retap the 6mm screw holes and put in two new ones. The cam lobe attached perfectly to the crank. I replaced the #3 piston/sleeve and intake/outflow valves in #2 and #3.

She purrs like a well oil kitten! I was able to get 3000 psi in about 2 minutes. I did set the #3 relief at 3200 psi.

It looks like I've got myself a fine system now! Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread and PM'd me. You advice was invaluable and definately helped me solve the 1200 psi problem.

THANKS!!!

FB

Unscrew the oil relief a quarter turn to verify that the compressor has some oil pressure. The regulator can be troublesome after 30 odd years. Do an oil pressure check ASAP. Good luck and well done.
Pesky

I was very wary of the oil pressure. When I was refilling the oil, I also hand turned the system. I could hear the pick up and push of the oil. That was confidence building but not a sure fire test.

I did check it like you just described to make sure that it was flowing as soon as I started running it. It's got good pressure and it's flowing nicely. Thanks for the reminder.

My next to projects: FIRST, install the oil pressure gauge. Second, get the PCV fabricated and installed.

FB

Very sorry fellas for reviving an old topic. I hope I am not out of line here...

congrats fastbird for getting it running. I have the exact same compressor.. I also plan to install the oil psi gauge and PCV tubing, great info in this thread - thank you.

My questions are:

#1, what is the best oil to use in the crank case? Compressor oil or 30w non detergent motor oil?

#2 FB, I see where you said you adjusted your #3 relief to 3200 lbs, but I am confused about that and not even sure mine is adjustable? I do I determine if there is some sort of shut off so that I don't have to watch this compressor like a hawk until tank is full?

thanks in advance and sorry for the necropost, I just figured it's relative so I thought I would post in here.

Very sorry fellas for reviving an old topic. I hope I am not out of line here...

congrats fastbird for getting it running. I have the exact same compressor.. I also plan to install the oil psi gauge and PCV tubing, great info in this thread - thank you.

My questions are:

#1, what is the best oil to use in the crank case? Compressor oil or 30w non detergent motor oil?

~~~ I use a 30W food grade oil since it's for breathing air.

#2 FB, I see where you said you adjusted your #3 relief to 3200 lbs, but I am confused about that and not even sure mine is adjustable? I do I determine if there is some sort of shut off so that I don't have to watch this compressor like a hawk until tank is full?

~~~ I eventually set up a cascade system to store some air. The relief will open and you will get the rush of escaping air. But, on this old compressor you do have to manually turn it off.

~~~ I hope this helps with keeping yours running.

Well done FB, I like reading success stories! It is a nice community that we belong to as people with knowledge are willing to help...

Outstanding, found the parts I need and at a fair price... thanks again.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom