Early 1970's Bauer Capitano Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 30lb pull magnet. Think that would be strong enough?

I'll have more answers to the cfm questions soon. I found a source for the valves, so I'll get those on order tomorrow.

At this point, I'll replace the valves and fabricate the PCV line.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks for all the help!

Re blow by

First bauer official blow by table was produced about october 2002
Capitano design version 07 blow by standard 10lt/min max 20lt/min
This reading is at 200bar or 2900psi
also at 20 deg C
The less the blow by the better is the wear in of cylinder and piston rings
End quote
This method of test and readings confirmed with bauer germany 11/2/2008.

Thanks, Windyair. Those data are gold.
Fastbird, it takes about 5 pounds to pull the sleeve. Good luck.

I pulled out the #3 piston and sleeve. The piston will drop out instantly from the bottom. I guess that could be a source of my problems.

Looks like I'll replace all the valves and this piston/sleeve.

Thanks for all the help!

FB

Yep, I oiled it up and that slowed it down from instantly (.5 seconds) to almost instantly (1.5 seconds). Also once I cleaned out the sleeve, you could see wear marks. Not grooves or gouges, but you could tell it has not been changed in years.

The shop I got it from had told me all they did was change the synthetic oil and filters for the last four years.

I should be getting the parts later this week. I'll post my results; success or failure.

Regarding the PCV, here's an answer I got from a Bauer tech.

Routing the PCV back to the 1st stage does a few things:
1. It eliminates oily residue from building up in your compressor room as the atmosphere vent will have some minor amount of oil residue being carried out with the air.
2. It uses this minimal amount of oil to provide "top lube" to the #1 piston and cylinder.
3. It helps the compressor breath better by pumping air into the first stage so that cylinder isn't having to pull in all the required air for compression on its own. Less work should mean longer life.

I know from flying jets that some of our fuel systems use a thing called "Motive Flow" to provide an assist to moving the the fuel. Basically, your pump shoots a high volume of the fluid into a collector pipe which creates a low pressure area behind it and causes increased flow into the fuel system. This allows the use of a smaller pump to move the same volume of fluid that a larger pump previously moved. In airplanes, it saves weight which equates to fuel savings.

If you've ever seen this fifth grade science experiment, you'll understand. Take a ten foot long tube of a light weight nylon cloth with one end sewn shut. Have two assistants hold each end. If you put your mouth up to the open end like your filling a balloon, you can not blow hard enough to fill the tube with air. But, if you back up about a foot with the assitant holding the tube open and then blow: you can fill the tube with two or three breaths. Because your blowing into the tube creates a low pressure zone going into the tube and ambient air pressure is higher; it will seek to equalize the low pressure and fill the tube until the pressures are equalized.

New Question:

How durable is this machine with little to no oil flow? When I started to look things over closer, I found the gear that drives the oil pump had come off the crank shaft. One of the bolts that holds it on failed and broke. Without both screws holding things together, the other appears to have backed itself out. I know I've run it for about an hour or two with out the oil pump working. I can only imagine that the thing has another dozen hours running like this.

I'm working on extracting the broken bolt. Then I can get a replacement and put "Humpty Dumpty" back together again.

BTW, my valves and #3 piston/sleeve arrived today. At this point, I hope I still need them.

The compressor is equipped with force feed lubrication. The oil pump is driven by a cam. The oil delivered by the pump flows to the pressure regulater. The regulator manages the oil flow, delivers it at 50 bar to the third stage and excess oil is piped to the second stage. Return oil from the two pistons comes off as a spray which coats moving parts such as the first stage and crank shaft.

The question of damage due to starvation is relative and not easy to answer. The ringless third stage would be most at risk. The effect on piston rings and bearings is more difficult to answer as a hypothetical.

Below are corrected data for cyl pressures:
#1, 90-100 psi
#2, 500 psi (@ 3000 psi delivery press)

relief valves:
#1, 116 psi
#2, 580 psi
#3, 3300 psi

The 2nd stg number given previously was in error

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom