Ear Problems & Out of the USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ciret

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm in Puerto Rico, sort of out in the countryside, on a work project. I went diving last Sat (03DEC05). No issues, good dive, conditions were outstanding (SW coast on the wall off Guanica). In retropect, I did hear some different sounds when my ears equalized, squeaking and just a little more noise than normal. Anyway, no problem Sat afternoon. No problem Sun morning, by Sun afternoon I was getting the slightly full in the ear feeling. No pain, just felt like water in my ear (right ear only). I took some pseudophed and didn't worry about it. By Tue afternoon, I knew something was not right, but I'm a zillion miles from anywhere and it didn't hurt so I did nothing. Wed morning, or during the night I had some drainiage from the right ear. Now I'm getting worried. I went to the local clinic, one doc, maybe a couple of nurses, just the basics. I don't speak spanish, they don't speak english, so it was an interesting visit. Bottom line was the doc said I had an infection and shouldn't fly. So, now I can't even get home to my own doc . . . Prescribed Cipro oral 500mg 2X a day and a Cipro dexamethasone ear drops twice a day. I figured that was just the answer and in a couple of days I'd be a good as new. Well, it's Mon (12DEC05) and my ear is still feeling full and blocked, hearing is muffled. My doc at home won't tell me anything over the phone. I'm just wondering what should I expect with and ear infection and Cipro antibiotics? The prescription is for 7 days of Cipro. I've started taking pseudophed 120mg extended release and 1200 mg Mucinex (guafenisin ?sp) twice a day along with the Cipro in hopes of drying the middle ear out. Anyone else every go through this sort of thing? Am I expecting too much or do I need to be concerned? Should I try to find an english speaking doc here, or call DAN, or . . . any suggestions and comments will be welcome. My plans currently call for me to fly home on the 21st. How plugged can you be and fly without damaging something?

Eric call DAN NOW! And yes try to find an english speaking doc. it is still puerto rico and US territory. Unfortunately some damage may already have been done. There should be an ent on the island that you can get to before the 21st. If you get ahold of DAN they may be able to direct you to a doc in PR that is familiar with dive medicine. My fiance had a similar problem last year(non diver) but due to a cold that somehow migrated into her ears. They needed to drain and install tubes because she let it go too long(about a month self medicating). Now she not only has tubes but requires hearing aids as well. Anything involving the ears is serious stuff and not just for divers. It can affect your balance and if left untreated the infection may migrate into the tissue.(rare but possible)

Eric you should call DAN and see what they say.

Also, I lived in Condado, Puerto Rico for three years. They have a hospital in Condado and some of the doctors did speak english. I had to go to the ER there once. I don't know how far you are from Condado but if you needed to go back to the doc you could consider going to that ER.

Hope you get to feeling better.

Mel

I'm in Guanica/San German, between Ponce and Mayaguez. I talked to a couple of Dr offices this afternoon, it's as bad as the states, days or weeks to get in. I then called DAN, they said it didn't sound like an infection since the symptoms came on too fast. They recommended putting oxymetazoline HCl pediatric drops in my nose and equilizing to force the meds into the eustachian tubes. Also, since my first post my ear has begun to loosen up. After the drops and equalizing, it seems to be improving some more.
So, here is what I'm doing; 2 more days of antibiotics Cipro 500mg 2x a day, Cipro, dexamethasone drops in ear 2 x a day, 12 hr pseudophed 2x a day, 12 hr Mucinex 2 x a day, oxymetazoline HCl drops in the nose then into the tubes once a day. If by Wed afternoon I am not seeing significant improvement, I'll call DAN again and maybe have to do the doctor search again.

Thanks for your responses.

Sounds just like the ear infections I've had.

Back
Top Bottom