Grounded after Middle Ear Barotrauma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbc2v

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I got open water certified four days ago, and since then I’ve been having ear issues. I went to an ENT yesterday and he said I have middle ear barotrama and recommended not flying for a week. I was supposed to fly to Jakarta from Labuan Bajo today and then back to the United States after that.

I was planning to follow his advice, but there are ZERO hotels available in Labuan Bajo for tonight. I can find something for the rest of the week—and have booked a couple nights already—but nothing for tonight. I’m still searching, but I’m losing hope. I would be interested to hear from anyone who flew with middle ear barotrauma and how you made the decision. I really don’t want to risk my hearing, but I’m in a pickle. I guess if I really shouldn’t fly, I can just store my luggage and walk around town all night…

Are you a member of DAN? They're not going to offer you specific advice but great with general medical information that can help you make a decision. BTW...I've flown after an ear barotrauma and I had no issues (your results may vary)

Thanks! Yes, I joined DAN between my first and second day of diving. I emailed them about this and they had some helpful information about barotrauma, but said I should see a doctor to check whether flying would cause me issues… and he said it’s best to wait. I have had some issues equalizing. I’ll be fine for a few hours and then unable to equalize for a few hours and then back again. I’m nervous I’ll hit a period where I can’t equalize at a crucial moment (though when I’m in the good periods I REALLY just want to just get on a plane!)

Thankfully I found a Wanua Boat Tour leaving tomorrow to Lombok, and they’re allowing me to board a day early. I wasn’t planning to go to Lombok, but I guess I’m going to see it anyways!

Thanks! Yes, I joined DAN between my first and second day of diving. I emailed them about this and they had some helpful information about barotrauma, but said I should see a doctor to check whether flying would cause me issues… and he said it’s best to wait. I have had some issues equalizing. I’ll be fine for a few hours and then unable to equalize for a few hours and then back again. I’m nervous I’ll hit a period where I can’t equalize at a crucial moment (though when I’m in the good periods I REALLY just want to just get on a plane!)

Thankfully I found a Wanua Boat Tour leaving tomorrow to Lombok, and they’re allowing me to board a day early. I wasn’t planning to go to Lombok, but I guess I’m going to see it anyways!
Hope you got things straightened out. If the barotrauma was severe enough that the physician recommended you not fly then it's probably best to heed that advice.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom