Ear Problem / Pain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One problem with discussing or buying Clariton, Sudafed, Actifed, etc. is that those are brand names that vary in content with marketing. Sudafed was named for psuedoephedrine but most packaging contains none now with regulations controlling psuedoephedrine, having been replaced with phenylephrine for better Over The Counter marketing. Meds containing psuedoephedrine are available only from Behind The Counter sales, ID required, records kept on quantities. Original Clariton was an antihistamine with Clariton-D containing decongestant but still have to check the ingredients - reading glasses suggested for anyone over 30. :cool2:

My home bud has as much problems with equalizing as anyone and it can be a pain waiting on him to clear at times, but I do. Buddies enter, descend, swim, ascend, and exit together. The video Scott offered above is well worth the 45 minutes and occasional review. For any dive weekend or trip, he...
Reviews the suggestions in the video.

Irrigates daily with a Netti Pot for a week prior.

Practices clearing daily for a week prior.

Takes meds containing psuedoephedrine and an antihistamine the night before and morning before diving.

Clears a couple times in the parking lot or boat ride prior to diving.

And we still stop at 15 feet on descent for him to clear well there.​
By the third day of a diver trip, he generally has no problems.

Thanks for telling me that TSandM. That's helpful. I am getting over an ear infection right now, but my father (Johnny Mojo) is getting me some ear plugs that have a diaphragm in them to let me hear things. I don't know what the brand is, but do you know if it helps with clearing your ears at all?

The plugs are Doc's and I seem to remember having read about them in one of the "Ear Threads". The long and short of it was that some swear by them and some think they are junk.

The suspicion is that Joolz was clearing too hard (she is getting better, pre-clearing and clearing more often). She had a little water "stuck" behind her eardrum that resulted in a mild infection which is gone now. We are using the white vinegar/alchohol home brew and will use it in advance of our next dives too.

Our hope is that the plugs, home brew and better, more consistent clearing technique will keep infections at bay.

Now you do know that it's bad form to hijack Joe27March's thread don't you!?:D And go read the information Lynne (TSandM) suggested above.

J.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've watched that video but I still have trouble equalizing. I've found what works best for me is a combination of the valsalva which only ever clears my left ear and a simultaneous swallow which clears my right ear. Its a pain to do both at the same time especially with a reg bunched in between your teeth. Like Jim said for the first 15-20 feet I equalize on every breath and never get to relax until past 50 feet or so. I'm pretty sure that I use up more gas than normal due to the stress of the descent. I really wish I could master that bobbing of the throat technique on the Dr. Kay video. I guess some people just have a hard time equalizing and you have to live with it. When I go on a dive vacation I always expect a couple of aborted dives because of this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom