Eagle project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubascout2000

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
:06: Looking to do something fun for my eagle project. I could really use any idea's i can get. I wanted to something with SCUBA and Computers. Hope you guys can help im life now and need to start planning and getting idea's. Remember im in AZ. so im waiting till summer to do my project but lots of paperwork and planning.

thx in advance,
James

Several years ago my cousin did an Eagle Project at Lake Mead doing a clean up under one of the marina's. He was required to have divers that were 21 years and older. He wasn't even allowed to dive since he wasn't 21. Sorry, but I don't know of any good ideas for a project.

Come to think about it. I do know another project. The scout had arranged to place an artificial reef made out of concrete in a local spring that is popular with divers.

Good Luck with your project.

Actually,

I think a submerged diving platform would be a great project. It would benefit divers learning how to dive, increase safety and perserve the bottom of the lake/spring you put it in.

NetDoc:
Actually,

I think a submerged diving platform would be a great project. It would benefit divers learning how to dive, increase safety and perserve the bottom of the lake/spring you put it in.
I think that would be a great idea.

The diving platform is a super idea. Along the same lines, if the platform and it's component parts presents too much of a logistical problem, consider laying out an underwater navigation course.

Take some type of containers, number them, rig anchoring and position them in an area frequented by divers. You and another buddy could position a marker, record its position and then swim a certain heading and distance and position the second marker and so on.

You could record your headings and distances and provide the information to diving instructors in the area. Oh, if you do this, don't forget to generate an IP azimuth from a known spot on the shore from which to initiate a dive.

Positioning them at different depths relative to the normal pool level of the impoundment would be good too.

Hope this helps . . . from an old Eagle Scout who wishes he had been scuba diving when he was your age.

Do make sure that you consult any authorities in your area (water districts, etc) to get approval for such.

I worked with some Scouts on their project a few years ago and they came up with making fish habitats and placing them in Canyon reservoir. They contact the local Fish and Game and ran the idea past them. They then got a hold of the shop I work for and we donated the material and design engineering time to draw them up and fabricate them with their help.

Fish and Game came up with a location and actually placed them. But the scouts were able to dive on them right afterwards and check them out. I believe they go out and monitor fish life on them every once in a while.

Pretty cool project.

Craig

I am not sure of all of the requirements for Eagle Scout projects, but you mentioned an interest in diving and computers. I think a great project you could do to unite these two interests is to develop a web site about local dive sites:

Name of site, location, contact phone number, daily fee, availability of air/nitrox and cost, on site/ near by lodging and food. Hours/dates of opporation, availablity of picnic tables, parking, bath houses etc. depth range, training platforms, entries, links to their web sites is also a nice touch
Also include location of nearest hospital, closest chamber, EMS in the area. Be sure to let your LDS know about your web site so they can refer to the info, or even link to your web site from their web site. Depending on the number of dive sites you come up with you might also want to visit each site to add unbiased info on the location including visibility. a good excuse to rack up some dives as well!

Be sure to post a link on SB as well-might even use some divers here as a source of info to use as a starting point.

Polly

I love you guys! Thanks for all these great ideas! I'm starting to plan everything really soon and all the rest of the scouts in my troop are certified too, so they can use some of these too. when i start on something ill link and post what i did and used. would you guys be interested in picks of our dive trips and of my project when it happends?

thanks again,
James Young

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom