Eagle/Duane dives this Thursday/Friday in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KeyLargoBrent

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
At HarleyDiver's request, we're planning a trip to the Eagle this Thursday or Friday afternoon. We have a few seats available for experienced divers who can ditch work to join us (sorry for the short notice). I'm thinking the Duane would make a decent second dive, and it might even turn into a 3-location trip if anyone is interested.

KeyLargoBrent:
At HarleyDiver's request, we're planning a trip to the Eagle this Thursday or Friday afternoon. We have a few seats available for experienced divers who can ditch work to join us (sorry for the short notice). I'm thinking the Duane would make a decent second dive, and it might even turn into a 3-location trip if anyone is interested.

I will be in town this friday through sunday. Let me know what you get figured out. When is check in on Fri? Would love a 3 location trip. Do you offer package rates for multiple dive trips?

Brent's probably at work so I'll answer for him. Check in is 12:30 for a 1:00pm departure. I will be headed over shortly for this afternoon's trip.

Winds have been light all week. Had some current in places but Glen (that's Capt Marvel) usually can find a spot with minimal flow.

ScubaMarine:
I will be in town this friday through sunday. Let me know what you get figured out. When is check in on Fri? Would love a 3 location trip. Do you offer package rates for multiple dive trips?
We offer 10% off of three prepaid trips, or 20% off of five prepaid trips. Friday's weather forecast is UGLY! Saturday looks better, and Sunday looks best. Weather permitting, we'll probably pass on the Eagle and head for the Duane and something closer to port on Friday. Check-in is at 12:30PM. Departure is at 1PM.

KeyLargoBrent:
SNIP...Friday's weather forecast is UGLY! Saturday looks better, and Sunday looks best... SNIP
Brent, is it true the Keys visibility recovers more quickly than up here in the Fort Lauderdale area? In other words, after poor conditions on Friday morning you could very well have good diving on Friday afternoon, an **exceptional** day Saturday and perfect on Sunday? I think I read that somewhere once here but thought I'd ask the expert. How quickly can it go from worst to best?

MikeJacobs:
Brent, is it true the Keys visibility recovers more quickly than up here in the Fort Lauderdale area? In other words, after poor conditions on Friday morning you could very well have good diving on Friday afternoon, an **exceptional** day Saturday and perfect on Sunday? I think I read that somewhere once here but thought I'd ask the expert. How quickly can it go from worst to best?
Yesterday, we were in 30' of water on Molasses Reef with 3-5' of choppy slop (20 knot winds out of the east) and ~50' of visibility. We've dived the Duane in 5-7's with ~100' of viz. Wind and waves tend to stir things up in the shallows (<30'), but, generally, the deeper and further offshore you go, the less effect they have on visibility.

Also, certain areas tend to "clear-up" more quickly than others, mostly dependent, it seems, upon bottom composition and Gulf Stream proximity. The Benwood Wreck and French Reef, for example, both feature fine sand substrate, which gets waterbourne more easily (and remains suspended longer) than the course sand substrate found at Molasses Reef. Visibility at Molasses Reef is typically above average for the area, regardless of surface conditions. The same is true of The Elbow (in my experience).

All things considered... I don't think we'll be untying the boat THIS afternoon!

Well, we're socked in here at the campground today. I might go for a snorkle in the parking lot. lol

Anyway, we plan on diving with you Sat PM if this mess clears up. Forecast looks pretty good.

Did OD go out today?

HarleyDiver:
Well, we're socked in here at the campground today. I might go for a snorkle in the parking lot. lol

Anyway, we plan on diving with you Sat PM if this mess clears up. Forecast looks pretty good.

Did OD go out today?
I can't imagine that ANYONE went out yesterday!

KeyLargoBrent:
SNIP...Wind and waves tend to stir things up in the shallows (<30'), but, generally, the deeper and further offshore you go, the less effect they have on visibility. Also, certain areas tend to "clear-up" more quickly than others, mostly dependent, it seems, upon bottom composition and Gulf Stream proximity. The ...snip
Good to know! How about currents? Are they related to anything in particular? Predictable, say on the Grove or Duane?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom