E8 130 vs AL80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Axeman, you also need to factor in the change in buoyancy as well from a full tank to 500 psi on the E8-130. There is a greater swing than with an AL80. That extra 50 cf makes a difference.

I know from experience, although I went from AL80s (catalinas) to E7-120s. dropped a good 8 lbs off my weight belt.

I keep it pretty simple. When I use an Al80 I add 6 pounds from what I wear when I use a 130, which is most of the time. The change seems to be a bit less I have found, but 6 splits nicely into 3 per side.

One of these days I am going to take an empty 130 and hang it in the pool with a scale. I have seen a couple of numbers for the empty weight, -4.8 and -2.

JoelW

Axeman, I switched from an AL80 to an E8-130 (no other changes at that time) and dropped exactly 10 pounds. I am sure this will sound wrong to some people but perhaps it's partly attributable to the difference in the full-empty swing between the tanks. That's what worked for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom