E8 130 vs AL80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Axeman

Contributor
Reaction score
SO I have just bought an e8130.... previously I have been diving AL80's

What is the difference in the bouyancy when at 500 psi...

basicly how much should I be able to remove from my WB diving the 130.... ??

Thanks

Axeman:
SO I have just bought an e8130.... previously I have been diving AL80's

What is the difference in the bouyancy when at 500 psi...

basicly how much should I be able to remove from my WB diving the 130.... ??

Thanks

Try 4 pounds. If that works okay, try 2 more.

Thanks for the useful, insiteful reply.

I am aware how to do a bouyancy check. I would like to hear from others who know from either stats or experience.

cause it is the middle of winter up here and I am not inclined to sit in a hole in the ice and play around with a weight system...

it would be far easier to get a real answer and then "tuck" an extra piece of lead if I don't have enough.

Thanks

Axeman:
it is the middle of winter up here and I am not inclined to sit in a hole in the ice and play around with a weight system...

it would be far easier to get a real answer and then "tuck" an extra piece of lead if I don't have enough.

Dude, MechDiver gave you a real answer. The spec's tell you nothing, in terms of how it will impact you and your rig specifically.

Specs say that the 130s should be 6-8 lbs heavier than your tanks, depending on whether you own Luxfer or Catalina aluminum 80s and/or which aluminum 80 [butt heavy ("neutrals") or butt light]. Precisely how much weight you may need to take off of your specific rig is something you'll need to determine. Whether you start with 6 or 4, you'll start somewhere and screw around with it a tad.

Besides, as a NAUI Master Diver, you're supposed to want to sit around in icey water and mess with things scuba! :D Unless, of course, you're a weenie. You're not a weenie, are you?

Ouch.... I find Mechdiver always gives pertinent answers, very direct.... I have no doubt that he has lots of experience... That was a bit of a tool move to jump all over him like that, you'll have to fiddle around with it to get it right for you anyway... Not like you'll be busy chasing life around under the ice... oh yeah.... Toronto sucks... :cwmddd: hehe

Axeman, depending on the Aluminum tank that you are switching from, the change in buoyancy can be as much as 8 lbs or more. Some AL tanks, when empty, are positive 4 lbs. The E8-130, when empty, is negative 4.8 lbs.

http://www.sportdiverhq.com/tkcht.htm

http://www.tekdiv.com/cylinders.htm

Also factor in the capacity differences for a full tank as well. 130 cu ft of air will have more negative buoyancy than 80 cu ft.

So, if you compare a full E8-130 to a full AL80, the difference is around 11 lbs., an extra 3 lbs or so due purely to the greater weight of 130 cf of air than 80 cu ft.

Thanks warren and big T. That was what I was looking for.

as far as the other post.... I asked a question.... don't respond with "who knows"

cause someone knew... and they answered my question....

To me, that is the same as answering my question with "i dunno"..... if you don't know then what is the point of posting that you don't know... there is enough floatsom out there already thank you.

oh and if the answer is like someone said that al80's are different and it will depend on your rig.... then say that... not "who knows, try 4 pounds.."
like I said it was not an answer.... some times you don't NEED to repond to a post if you have nothing to add.

Axeman (not a weenie)

oh yeah... Toronto does suck... I agree :jaws2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom