Dyneema line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to shoot a DSMB from 140 you're gonna want more than 150 on the spool.
in a big current - almost double

In heavy current, thin line helps a lot

If using Dyneema, beware that special knots are needed. That stuff is very slippery & regular knots do not hold.

If using Dyneema, beware that special knots are needed. That stuff is very slippery & regular knots do not hold.

The great thing about hollow core dyneema fishing line is you can splice it. Makes joining new sections and end loops extremely easy. I tie 90% less knots now that my reels have hollow core on them.

Thin line is harder to notice and easier to knot up, i would not want dynema wraped up around my valves or some other harder to reach spot. Other than that you could probably put a 300 meters of 200 lbs line on a small finger spool. You can get it in any big game fishing store (might be called dacron, spectra or braid) or on aliexpress.

Be carefull that you have the proper cutting tool, scisors are not effective at cutting it unless its under a lot of tension.

Power Pro and Spider Wire fishing lines are strand oriented ultra high molecular weight polyethylene, aka Dyneema. They are available from most fishing shops & even big box stores like Walmart & Dicks sporting goods.

The strength to thickens ratio is great. Unfortunately, it is pretty good at cutting through things when it is run across them at high speeds under high pressures. I've had that stuff cut through the rub rail & into the gunwale of a fiberglass boat when a large fish started taking drag unexpectedly.

I just ran a pair of dial calipers across a piece of 50# Power Pro. It measured .015" in diameter. I get 300 yard spools of that for around $25-30. I have bought 80# & 200# in the past, but I don't have any handy now to measure. Some local fishing shops will sell it by the foot, off of bulk spools. Most shops that spool reels will do that.

Edit: 80# measures .021" diameter (half a millimeter)

Too thin in my opinion. I use 300#, which is more like 1mm. That's plenty thin to about double the capacity of my spool compared to typical #24 cave line.

Even at 1mm, it's already thin enough that you need to exercise extra care about not getting line cuts on your hands during deployment. Anything thinner could really cause a problem if you got it wrapped around your finger and even just winding up the spool.

...You can get it in any big game fishing store (might be called dacron, spectra or braid) or on aliexpress....

Dacron is something different. Spectra, Dyneema, braid, Power Pro, Spider Wire are all basically the same material. Dacron is much less strong, but easier on the hands.

Spooled with 45m of high-visibility Dyneema line...

AP Diving 45m Ratcheted Pocket Reel (AKA Buddy Reel)

1650323447126.png
1650324079965.png

Silent Diving is US dealer.
Very good Youtube review: Buddy pocket reel.
(Note: Buddy was 1st generation; note added holes, side of drum, 2nd gen.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom