Dyneema line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Candiru

Contributor
Reaction score
I need a reel that I can shoot a SMB from 140 feet. Would it be wrong to use a thin dyneema line on a small reel so I can get 150 feet on it. Also does anybody have a source for dyneema?

Defender.com

Expensive stuff, but you buy once and cry once. It's listed under competion line.

A side note: you could also try hollow core braided fishing line. It is also made from dyneema. Jerry Brown is the standard. I believe they make a 200lb. I use 130lb to fish offshore. The 130 I have on my reels was tested to break at 185lb. Just food for thought.

I've done this for my "deep spools" and it works fine.

The only issues are:

1. Dyneema floats, making it more important to control the spool/reel and not get a bird's nest around you. It will not sink away from you, making the risk of entanglement a bit higher.

2. Being pretty darned thin, it is also more likely to be painful if you're grabbing on it to hold the bag down or it gets wrapped around a finger.

I used this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071NBPNHV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I need a reel that I can shoot a SMB from 140 feet. Would it be wrong to use a thin dyneema line on a small reel so I can get 150 feet on it. Also does anybody have a source for dyneema?

If you want to shoot a DSMB from 140 you're gonna want more than 150 on the spool.

I would consider buying wreck line from dive gear or the sorts. Manta also makes some rebuild kits that include a predetermined amount of line. #24 is the thin stuff, #36 is the thick stuff.

Spearfishing shops usually sell any desired length of it.

Just another note that 10ft of room is not enough slack to shoot 140ft in a current.

Power Pro and Spider Wire fishing lines are strand oriented ultra high molecular weight polyethylene, aka Dyneema. They are available from most fishing shops & even big box stores like Walmart & Dicks sporting goods.

The strength to thickens ratio is great. Unfortunately, it is pretty good at cutting through things when it is run across them at high speeds under high pressures. I've had that stuff cut through the rub rail & into the gunwale of a fiberglass boat when a large fish started taking drag unexpectedly.

I just ran a pair of dial calipers across a piece of 50# Power Pro. It measured .015" in diameter. I get 300 yard spools of that for around $25-30. I have bought 80# & 200# in the past, but I don't have any handy now to measure. Some local fishing shops will sell it by the foot, off of bulk spools. Most shops that spool reels will do that.

Edit: 80# measures .021" diameter (half a millimeter)

Back
Top Bottom