Dutch Springs Quarry Accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JG109

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I heard an open water student was pulled out of the water unconscious yesterday. Anyone have any info?

On what day did this incident occur? Based on the other thread, it looks like it might have taken place on saturday, April 2nd.

Affirmative, I saw police and ambulance pull in when I left on Sunday 4/3. Would be nice to hear some facts so everyone can learn from it.

Affirmative, I saw police and ambulance pull in when I left on Sunday 4/3. Would be nice to hear some facts so everyone can learn from it.

Accomplishing OW certification in water significantly warmer than 45 degree comes to mind.

Accomplishing OW certification in water significantly warmer than 45 degree comes to mind.

Do we know that exposure was the main cause?

Assuming that cold water was the main factor leading to the accident:

If the student wants to continue diving in colder climates it may not be a bad idea to introduce the concept of hypothermia early on.
However, the instructors should dive wet too in order to make the message more credible. :D

I've done 2 consecutive ice dives in a 1/4" high waist wet suit before. I was of course young and stupid then, but the point is that a 1/4"-7mm wet suit can be adeqautely warm in 30 or 40 something degree water.

I also agree that if a diver plans to enjoy cold water diving, getting certified in cold water makes perfect sense, and enjoying cold water in the 45 degree range does not require a dry suit.

I do however also feel the instrcutor needs to dress like the students to ensure he or she is sensitive to how cold the class may be getting, especially with the "kneeling on the platform while we all individually perfrom skills" approach some instructors seem to use.

In cold water it makes sense to reduce the numbers of divers on a given check out dive as with only 2 or 3 students you spend less time knocking out skills and can spend more time actually moving, swimming and staying warm.

I have to disagree on the instructor wearing a wet suit as the students.If the instructor is to remain effective,as in the case of an emergency,he/she should be as comfortable as he could be.remember the instr may be in the water for a longer period of time than the students. Being in water that is less than 55 degree in a wet suit is not usually fun for the student who is usually in a rental wet suit..

Anyone have an update on the injured diver's condition?

Back
Top Bottom