Dutch Springs - First Impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been wanting to try DS for years, just to fill the square, but haven't been able to generate the energy for the car ride (1.5-2 hours) when I'm within 30 minutes to 1.5 hours of lots of good ocean boats. I think a great deal of DS's appeal may be the social nature of the whole thing. And it's not physically demanding compared to ocean trips. As previously mentioned, many of the DS'ers live within striking distance of DS but too far from the ocean to make the boat excursion with any regularity. One of these days I'll get there (and hope my dive acquaintances don't find out about it).

Today my husband and I went on a sightseeing-gaming-shopping trip to the Lehigh Valley. While we were there we decided to take a peep at this 'Dutch Springs' that so many people talk about here.

First thing we noticed, and couldn't believe, were the prices! $19 each just for us to walk around and see the place, without even diving (diving would have been almost twice as much)! While I do know that it costs more to take a boat dive, I can rationalize that dive boats are much more expensive to operate and there are far fewer divers on a boat then there were here. With that dent in the pocketbook we tried to make the best of it. I must say that our experience didn't get much better after that. Parking wasn't bad, and I expected to have a bit of trouble getting around with my walking cast so I wasn't let down. My next surprise was how crowded the place was! My word, not just with the divers, but the swimming area as well! I must admit that it did look fun, but the two crowds having to deal with each other can't be that easy to do!

My next surprise came when I noticed the rather shocking territorial behavior of the divers that were there. I actually witnessed a two dive buddies taking up three picnic benches for their gear, three of them! That seemed quite a bit much to me and my husband wondered how they would ever manage to dive on a boat with such a real estate requirement.

I must say that I did witness a general camaraderie among the divers there.

I also did get the impression that there are a great many shops/clubs that dive there on any given day, which is good to see, but the independent diver or divers are left a little too much to the wayside for my tastes.

There seemed to be plenty of entry points into the water, but it's shocking to see large groups of divers, most likely classes of some sort, doing their briefings/debriefings right on the entry ramps, totally blocking them from use by any other divers! Not very courteous if you ask me, let alone professional for an instructor. The staff on hand seemed to be rather well mannered, but they were lacking in pleasantry. I guess if I had to work on a Sunday I wouldn't be very happy either.

The only thing that didn't surprise me were the prices at the consession counter, abnormally high for what didn't seem very appetizing. I do have to complement the place for having nice and well-kept restroom facilities.

They do advertise camping on-site, which would be interesting.

As for the diving, I can only imagine that having that many people cycle through the water must have a negative effect on both the visibility and the aquatic life that one wishes to appreciate while diving. With all that in mind, I may be willing to consider testing the waters on a weekday, but for right now a weekend trip to Dutch Springs would appear to be more hassle than it is worth.

My husband is of the same opionins, but I think his desire to get in the water is starting to outweigh any discomfort he may have to deal with.

Could someone please tell me what the positive points of this place would be?

Very simple, m'Lady.
The basic economic law of supply and demand.

the K

One thing I want to point out is that DS is more educational than recreational.

If you want to develop a new skill or keep yourself in shape when in NE, DS is the place; it is the perfect controlled environment with least amount of risks. It's like a giant pool, the very definition of a lake.

I love the facility, people working there and the surroundings. I freaked out once feeling some pain in my ear. I terminated the dive and the emergency physicians were there for me immediately, they took the time to examine me, very very kind of them.

On the other hand, it has three important downsides:

First there is no current. It feels very unrealistic and dull. I'm guessing the skills we develop in DS need repetition in an open water environment. The current is a huge factor and we're missing it altogether in DS!

I know people who got certified from open water all the way to a dive master in the course of a year only in DS; but they've never dived anywhere else other then DS! I believe the incredible amount of confidence that comes with being a DM can be very deceptive and might as well work as a disadvantage when the environment conditions change tremendously.

Second, the water is very cold and therefore very dense. It takes much more effort to swim and to kick, but what can be misleading is the weights you might need. If you're always diving in DS it can be very hard to guess how much weight you would need under water in a warmer climate. The first time I was in DS I missed a few dives until I could find additional weights (thanks to the bad guess from the dive shop !).

And finally, the underwater life is ... well, lets just say there isn't much of underwater life there. You're lucky if you see a few fish and that's about it. I was so disappointed diving in DS after seeing the colorful amazing reefs of Florida.

Have fun diving..

I was so disappointed diving in DS after seeing the colorful amazing reefs of Florida.

How can you even compare those things though? Of course diving a fresh water quarry is nothing like diving a saltwater reef system....

In any case I love dutch. Where else can I dive every weekend to my hearts content with my newly certified son. He is 10 and I plan to take him to the BVI in December with me to do a bunch of reef dives. Going to dutch he will have 30-40+ dives under his belt before we get to the reef. Now I know when we get there there will be a slight adjustment, but I also know the practical experience he is gaining this summer will help him. For one I can take him to the platforms and do S-Drills, mask removals, and trim and buoyancy work. I can also work with him in buoyancy as we descend to the attractions and back up to the platform getting him to use his gear smoothly. When we get to the islands I wont worry about taking a new diver onto the reef where he can cause damage or be still getting to where his gear is second nature. After all he is my buddy, and I want to know that he is there for me, just as I am there for him and this is the perfect way to work on his basic skills.

On top of that my dive buddy is 10, so that eliminates all the NJ wreck diving for us. I find dutch perfect for us. We camp, cook out, take showers at night in clean heated bathrooms with good water pressure and hot water. We go on the aquapark crap (he makes me lol) and we can do 4 dives a day. Its the perfect way for me to spend time with my son.

As far as the comment about you not liking groups. I just buddy with my son, we are never "guided" or in a group. We do always see other divers under water but in the many times we have been there this year the attractions are usually pretty empty. We see people at the platforms all the time no doubt. Sometimes a few divers at some of the attractions like the Cessna or fire engine but its usually a couple that leave as we get there or show up when we are heading away.

On the other hand the 19$ to check the place out is crazy. I had my father drop my son off the other weekend. I was diving with a class and told my dad to drop him off at 4, he showed up at 2:30 for some reason and they wouldn't let him in with out paying. My son and I have season passes. I got out from my dive and checked my cell at 3 and saw my Dads irate messages about the staff not letting him in with out paying so he way waiting outside the gate. I walked up and he told me after he argued with them they offered to let him in for free for 25 minutes. Then he argued he wanted to buy some food and what if he wasn't served fast enough lol. There is just no pleasing him. In the end it is a very busy place and there is no way for them to monitor how many people they would let in to check the place out. If they started that I can imaging they would have tons of people coming to "check it out" ending up using the water for free all day.

Anyhow thats my take on dutch, and for me and my son, its the perfect fit.

I'm against picking up rocks to find crayfish to feed the bass as many do. To me, that is like locking the doors to your home, setting your alarm system, turning on the TV and settling in for a day of football only to have an alien species pry the roof off your house and feed you to another alien species. Have a heart! QUOTE]

Since you put it like that...........................................

Our local dive spot got a nice writeup in this months Sport Diver Magazine. Nice picture of a couple of divers at the airplane.

Well, here's a scenario for you :)

- rent a car - get up at 4am to drive a couple of hours to the boat
- get to boat to find out the trip is cancelled
- get to drive a couple of hours back - now through NYC rush (it's always rush here) traffic
- get to pay full price for car rental with no diving to show for it.

Vs.
- rent car
- drive 2 hours to Dutch
- dive to your heart's content - including Saturday night dive
- get to hang out with good friends and make new ones on the SI

Henrik

I couldn't have said it better! LOL...You forgot to mention after the trip is cancelled you end up at Dutch Springs anyway. Been there ...done that...:)

Dutch Springs offers a lot of diving opportunities that you cannot easily find all in one place at one time.

1. Excellent visibility - visit during the week and you will be astounded at the clarity of the water. My team of divers just finished shooting training pictures and videos there. During weekends, the visibility drops a bit, but even on weekends an early morning dive will yield good visibility.

2. "Quaribbean" diving - there is no need to freeze in Dutch Springs. At the height of the summer there are several interesting dive sites that you can enjoy in water as warm as the 70's down to 20 or 30 feet. Currently, the surface temperature is 82 F according to my UWATEC digital depth gauge/bottom timer. The shallow area of the student side will bring curious bass in your face hoping you will scare them up some crayfish for a quick meal. I'm against picking up rocks to find crayfish to feed the bass as many do. To me, that is like locking the doors to your home, setting your alarm system, turning on the TV and settling in for a day of football only to have an alien species pry the roof off your house and feed you to another alien species. Have a heart! The island in the center of Dutch is another great dive. It is easily circled in the shallows to enjoy the sunfish that protect their nests and there is a Cessna aircraft in 30 feet of water to add to the island's appeal. The very best attraction to see in the shallows is the upper structure of the pump house. It resembles a Gulf of Mexico oil rig and is a favorite haunt of koi. There are interesting walls leading to the pump house, a silo, a fire truck, and a pier. Past the pump house winding around to the south wall, you will find a descending road, the scary tree that used to shade an office building when Dutch was a working quarry, and an area that a friend of mine named Ed Jewell coined "The Aquarium". It is a shallow area on the south wall that is heavily populated by fish. The old Cessna now rests there near some doors and other structures. If you enjoy wall diving in the Caribbean, Dutch Springs is the closest you will find to warm, clear water. Even on weekends you can swim far away from the crowds and enjoy the solitude of the "Dutch Reef" - the wall that circumnavigates the park for 1.34 miles. If swimming while diving is more work than fun, Lehigh Valley Dive Center on Rte. 191 rents Tusa diver propulsion vehicles to divers with an AOW certification or above. I'd be happy to run a DPV class for you.

3. Theme tours - I'm always available to take people diving when I'm not teaching a class. This began when I had a conversation with a couple in an RV visiting from out of town one day. They had driven from the Midwest to enjoy the attractions at Dutch Springs and because of poor navigational skills and map reading, they hadn't seen much. I felt bad for them. Since Dutch is "my home office" I asked if they'd like to do a dive with me so I could guide them to all the places they missed before they headed home. They tipped me and came back year after year and brought friends for a tours. It was worth it for them to simply enjoy being taken to things they wanted to see and to be shown things that few people know exist in Dutch. I developed dives in which divers could see all the aircraft on one dive, or see the majority of attractions Dutch Springs has to offer, or avoid all the artificial attractions and see the history.

4. Ultimate Scuba Gym - let's face it. Scuba diving is a sport and divers need to practice the same way golfers, football players, and mountain climbers workout and practice. As a recreational and technical diving instructor, Dutch Springs allows me to simulate many diving challenges that divers may face and use the tools in the environment for class or coaching. Divers will find the myriad of attractions, depths and bottom conditions hugely beneficial to practice for upcoming dives or dive trips.

5. Access to world class talent - on any given day at Dutch Springs, world-class divers and educators may be found. Sometimes the Whose Who of diving may all be gathered for events or there by chance. It is a chance to eavesdrop and pick up information or find yourself a new dive center based upon listening to the dive pros educate one another or their students. Events such as product demo days, dive shop or club socials, or guest speakers add to some of the topside value.

6. Freediving and swimming - Dutch Springs offers freedivers and triathletes the opportunity to train. I use the 105 feet of water column for fun, freediving courses, and to stay in shape. Stu Schooley, the owner of Dutch Springs, has been getting out and swimming for fitness himself. Stu allows people to enjoy these sports in boat free waters. Tomorrow, my plan is to freedive in the morning under my own power, freedive with Gavin scooters, then switch to scuba for a couple of fun dives before heading home to the Poconos for the first time in days and days.

7. Water park, sky challenge, and other assorted fun - every once in a while I need to be a kid again and decide to play.

8. Confined water area - new to Dutch is "pool like" conditions for instructors to run open water classes.

9. Solo Diving - Dutch Springs allows divers certified as "Solo Divers" through SDI, PDIC or other agencies that may have the course to enjoy the underwater world of Dutch Springs by themselves.

10. Dutch Patrol - dive masters, dive instructors and EMT's overlook the water and rescue help is immediate. Most of the time rescues are performed by instructors teaching courses alerted to emergencies since they are already geared up. Because most of the hard core divers and instructors who are often at Dutch Springs are also friends and dive buddies, in an emergency, all the help an injured or missing diver could ask for is at the ready.

I have to admit that I'm probably one of the ones responsible for being discourteous on ramps since I not only perform full dive briefings there, but I have students do S-drills, valve drills, basic skills and exercises on the ramps. However, I think all instructors and divers do a very good job of giving exiting teams the right of way and making room for others on ramps. I have never felt that an instructor or other divers hasn't made room for me, my buddies or my students and I have always attempted to be courteous to others entering or exiting.

Dutch Springs is one of the most professionally-run, if not the most professionally run, inland diver recreational facilities that I have visited. For me, personally, it has been a place of fun, adventure, friendships, and growth as a diver for nearly 30 years.

You really should give Dutch Springs a chance as a diver. You may be impressed beyond your first impressions.

I TOTALLY agree!:D

Very interesting thread. I am new to this board and diving (again). In my mind I was picturing a closeness of diving folks but I see that a message board is a message board is a message board. Someone posts their OPINION and they get blasted. Seems like this happens on every single board out there.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even when you are responding to someone else's opinion BUT the unnecessary personal attacks are a real downer. I am surprised at the adolescent outbursts in a community that I thought was a bit more professional due to the importance of safety and teamwork.

Yeah, I'm disappointed. My opinion of course.

Very interesting thread. I am new to this board and diving (again). In my mind I was picturing a closeness of diving folks but I see that a message board is a message board is a message board. Someone posts their OPINION and they get blasted. Seems like this happens on every single board out there.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even when you are responding to someone else's opinion BUT the unnecessary personal attacks are a real downer. I am surprised at the adolescent outbursts in a community that I thought was a bit more professional due to the importance of safety and teamwork.

Yeah, I'm disappointed. My opinion of course.

In fact, messageboards that are "topic specific" such as this one, as well as, say a dog forum I post on regularly tend to get rather heated because people have strong opinions about topics they are passionate about, and Scuba diving sure qualifies.

On this thread you've got a member talking about how crappy a dive site is that other divers enjoy on a regular basis. The seeds are set for a flame war before the ink is even dry on the first post.

Try going over to a dog forum and say that you push your dogs nose into it's sh-t every time it has an accident and sit back and watch the sparks fly.

That's how people are. It keeps it interesting.

My opinion of course.

Back
Top Bottom