Dutch Springs - First Impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was also there for the first time this past weekend and was actually quite favorably impressed. Compared to my usual quarry, Dutch Springs has much better facilities. I felt this more than justified the somewhat higher cost. The staff is large, friendly, and efficient. I never had to get anywhere close to the kids using the water park. The viz was better than my home quarry even with large numbers of divers. I met a great bunch of people who were very welcoming even though I had never met any of them. I wish Dutch was closer to me!

To the OP, we can agree to disagree about Dutch Springs but the positives for me are:

• It is a fantastic training facility to practice new skills and play with new gear, which has improved my diving skills exponentially.
  • The underwater attractions, the fishes, the wall dive, and the damn platforms where I spent countless hours working on skills.
  • Air conditioned bath houses, air-fill house and camping grounds on the property.
  • An aqua park (which was included in your $19 admission ticket) where the dive buddies non-diving spouses and children enjoy and I can meet them during SI.
  • Dive buddies, dive buddies, dive buddies! You're lucky to have a diving partner because no one in my family or circle of friends dive so I had no local dive buddies until I joined SB's Dive NY group. DNY has brought a network of local dive buddies into my life. A large majority of the DNY dive Dutch Springs so when I go to Dutch I will have buddies. SI are just as much fun as the dives.
  • I learn a lot from others during SI as buddies help other buddies tweak their gear or fix a regulator.

I hope the examples below aren't part of your New York group. If so, I am sorry for you...

I'm not surprised that you weren't impressed. When I responded to your earlier inquiry re: N/E diving your response was needlessly derisive.

Last time I checked I-95 still runs south.

You should never go to Dutch. Your attitude deserves the waters of Truk. See ya later and enjoy the extended SI. At least DS will not get polluted with what you seem to have to offer.

Steve,

You are off the mark on this one. I think she was disappointed that an admission was charged to do a surface checkout of the facilities and by the weekend crowds.

She has not dived Dutch and was asking those of us who do, what we liked about it. She got some good responses and a few negative ones about her spending habits. She was rightfully put off by this. I probably would be too.

I hope she and her husband will give Dutch a try.

I hope the examples below aren't part of your New York group. If so, I am sorry for you...

Yes, as are several of the others who replied in this thread but you did not quote the others who posted in your thread. I've met them both and not just once but several times. I've dived, dined and met their families. They have strong opinions, in person, so I expect nothing less from them online.

As for being sorry for me because they are part of the New York group, we can agree to disagree about that too.

If that's a strong opinion, I shudder to imagine what you would actually consider rude and improper.

Even more disturbing is that you admit to encouraging such behavior.

That's just my opinion.

Now then, I would like to thank the people who have mentioned the attractions and amenities that Dutch Springs does have to offer. Thank you for enlightening me as to the things I missed during my quick walk (hobble) around the lake.

I have to say Dutch is a great place to dive. But if i were in your shoes and just wanted a simple tour around and do nothing and they said only way to get in and look around is pay $19 I would have been not to happy probably asked to see the manager or something or would have left. I did not have this issue as I did my checkout dives there.

As for the others part of the DNY group I talk to a few of them and they are really a great bunch of people some have stronger opinons and somethings try not to take to heart. some people just come across wrong. Hope to see you guy's up at dutch and good luck with diving

Personally I agree that charging $38 to potential customers for a walk through is ridiculous. I went there one time late in the day to deliver gear to someone (couple of years ago before I was a regular and had an annual pass) and they tried to charge me. I told them I am too big for the kiddie park and have no gear, just dropping off an item and they let me in. My recommendation to others who are thinking of checking DS out would be to call in advance and speak to Mgt about walking through late one afternoon. Would really surprise me if they did not honor that request.

Those 2 divers were definitely the early birds in their group of 6-12 divers, usually 2-3 can gear up comfortably per table, 4 would be pushing it in 2 shifts of paired buddies.

I know couples who go early and snag 1 table and others who prefer to be away from the crowds and bring a canopy and a couple of chairs.

There are 2 dive areas, most of the OW checkout dives occur on the "student" side (to the left of the entrance) and advanced training and the rest hang out on the peninsula side. The theory is that the worst viz is on the student side, not so sure about that though :D Aside from human intervention, the viz has a lot to do with the time of year, algae growth, change in temps, thermocline flipping, etc. Overall, it is tied for top place for quarry viz, imo.

Have to agree with you on the food, we usually bring cooler and a grill, seen others pack subs, drinks and their fav dive snacks. When I am lazy, the concession subs would be my recommendation for a decent option, high priced yes, but convenient.

I have been to 6 quarries in VA, PA and OH and Dutch by far has the most underwater attractions and platforms, dive entrances and best bath houses. The rest are pretty rustic by comparison.

A lot of divers have asked me why I would ever dive in a cold dark quarry. First, the annual pass makes for a lot of cheap diving. There is no way my skills would be where they are without quarry diving, not only do they but also my equipment get a regular workout. I really believe I enjoy my vacation diving more without all the neoprene/drysuit, weights, clear viz because of my quarry experience. Also, like others have said, it is a great place to take classes and get comfortable in new gear. Although the annual pass is the way to go, I would def make sure quarry diving is your cup of tea, because for some I know who have tried it, they will never go back. (I believe the word lunatic was included as part of their response:D)

I really hope with some of the additional info here, you rethink your first impression and give it a try :bounce4:

fwiw, I am not a staff member of DS but I am one of those crazy DNY'ers :D

Edit: the various fish include, blue gill, perch, bass, and Koi and they are all friendly, fat and happy . . .

Last edited:
I look at it this way.
Dutch Springs is like light beer. It serves it purpose when there's no alternative

Dutch Springs offers a lot of diving opportunities that you cannot easily find all in one place at one time.

1. Excellent visibility - visit during the week and you will be astounded at the clarity of the water. My team of divers just finished shooting training pictures and videos there. During weekends, the visibility drops a bit, but even on weekends an early morning dive will yield good visibility.

2. "Quaribbean" diving - there is no need to freeze in Dutch Springs. At the height of the summer there are several interesting dive sites that you can enjoy in water as warm as the 70's down to 20 or 30 feet. Currently, the surface temperature is 82 F according to my UWATEC digital depth gauge/bottom timer. The shallow area of the student side will bring curious bass in your face hoping you will scare them up some crayfish for a quick meal. I'm against picking up rocks to find crayfish to feed the bass as many do. To me, that is like locking the doors to your home, setting your alarm system, turning on the TV and settling in for a day of football only to have an alien species pry the roof off your house and feed you to another alien species. Have a heart! The island in the center of Dutch is another great dive. It is easily circled in the shallows to enjoy the sunfish that protect their nests and there is a Cessna aircraft in 30 feet of water to add to the island's appeal. The very best attraction to see in the shallows is the upper structure of the pump house. It resembles a Gulf of Mexico oil rig and is a favorite haunt of koi. There are interesting walls leading to the pump house, a silo, a fire truck, and a pier. Past the pump house winding around to the south wall, you will find a descending road, the scary tree that used to shade an office building when Dutch was a working quarry, and an area that a friend of mine named Ed Jewell coined "The Aquarium". It is a shallow area on the south wall that is heavily populated by fish. The old Cessna now rests there near some doors and other structures. If you enjoy wall diving in the Caribbean, Dutch Springs is the closest you will find to warm, clear water. Even on weekends you can swim far away from the crowds and enjoy the solitude of the "Dutch Reef" - the wall that circumnavigates the park for 1.34 miles. If swimming while diving is more work than fun, Lehigh Valley Dive Center on Rte. 191 rents Tusa diver propulsion vehicles to divers with an AOW certification or above. I'd be happy to run a DPV class for you.

3. Theme tours - I'm always available to take people diving when I'm not teaching a class. This began when I had a conversation with a couple in an RV visiting from out of town one day. They had driven from the Midwest to enjoy the attractions at Dutch Springs and because of poor navigational skills and map reading, they hadn't seen much. I felt bad for them. Since Dutch is "my home office" I asked if they'd like to do a dive with me so I could guide them to all the places they missed before they headed home. They tipped me and came back year after year and brought friends for a tours. It was worth it for them to simply enjoy being taken to things they wanted to see and to be shown things that few people know exist in Dutch. I developed dives in which divers could see all the aircraft on one dive, or see the majority of attractions Dutch Springs has to offer, or avoid all the artificial attractions and see the history.

4. Ultimate Scuba Gym - let's face it. Scuba diving is a sport and divers need to practice the same way golfers, football players, and mountain climbers workout and practice. As a recreational and technical diving instructor, Dutch Springs allows me to simulate many diving challenges that divers may face and use the tools in the environment for class or coaching. Divers will find the myriad of attractions, depths and bottom conditions hugely beneficial to practice for upcoming dives or dive trips.

5. Access to world class talent - on any given day at Dutch Springs, world-class divers and educators may be found. Sometimes the Whose Who of diving may all be gathered for events or there by chance. It is a chance to eavesdrop and pick up information or find yourself a new dive center based upon listening to the dive pros educate one another or their students. Events such as product demo days, dive shop or club socials, or guest speakers add to some of the topside value.

6. Freediving and swimming - Dutch Springs offers freedivers and triathletes the opportunity to train. I use the 105 feet of water column for fun, freediving courses, and to stay in shape. Stu Schooley, the owner of Dutch Springs, has been getting out and swimming for fitness himself. Stu allows people to enjoy these sports in boat free waters. Tomorrow, my plan is to freedive in the morning under my own power, freedive with Gavin scooters, then switch to scuba for a couple of fun dives before heading home to the Poconos for the first time in days and days.

7. Water park, sky challenge, and other assorted fun - every once in a while I need to be a kid again and decide to play.

8. Confined water area - new to Dutch is "pool like" conditions for instructors to run open water classes.

9. Solo Diving - Dutch Springs allows divers certified as "Solo Divers" through SDI, PDIC or other agencies that may have the course to enjoy the underwater world of Dutch Springs by themselves.

10. Dutch Patrol - dive masters, dive instructors and EMT's overlook the water and rescue help is immediate. Most of the time rescues are performed by instructors teaching courses alerted to emergencies since they are already geared up. Because most of the hard core divers and instructors who are often at Dutch Springs are also friends and dive buddies, in an emergency, all the help an injured or missing diver could ask for is at the ready.

I have to admit that I'm probably one of the ones responsible for being discourteous on ramps since I not only perform full dive briefings there, but I have students do S-drills, valve drills, basic skills and exercises on the ramps. However, I think all instructors and divers do a very good job of giving exiting teams the right of way and making room for others on ramps. I have never felt that an instructor or other divers hasn't made room for me, my buddies or my students and I have always attempted to be courteous to others entering or exiting.

Dutch Springs is one of the most professionally-run, if not the most professionally run, inland diver recreational facilities that I have visited. For me, personally, it has been a place of fun, adventure, friendships, and growth as a diver for nearly 30 years.

You really should give Dutch Springs a chance as a diver. You may be impressed beyond your first impressions.

Back
Top Bottom