Dutch Springs April 2003 ScubaBoard get together - interest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

runvus4 once bubbled...
ibnygator, a drysuit class might not be a bad idea anyway if you take it from the store that you intend to buy the suit from, as usually at most LDSs, the drysuit course fee is fully deductable from the drysuit price.

Definitely. I did not mean to imply that you should not take a class.

I don't think drysuit diving is particularly hard, but I (and I know this is in contradiction to a lot of people's views on this subject) would definitely recommend a drysuit course provided they are teaching you to use the drysuit sensibly...

Oh, I agree with you that drysuit diving isn't rocket science, and if you have friends that can show you the ropes, you definately do not need a drysuit class, though it wouldn't be a bad thing either if you get a good instructor.

I was just saying that if he was going to buy the drysuit from his LDS that he would take the class from, then frequently the drysuit class is essentially a gimmie if he is willing to put in the time and the checkout dives. I think facetime with a LDS that you like in order to build a relationship is always a good thing.

runvus4 once bubbled...
I was just saying that if he was going to buy the drysuit from his LDS that he would take the class from, then frequently the drysuit class is essentially a gimmie if he is willing to put in the time and the checkout dives.

I completely agree. At the LDS where I bought my suit, the standing deal is that anyone who buys a drysuit gets the PADI cert. thrown in for free.

runvus4 once bubbled...
I was just saying that if he was going to buy the drysuit from his LDS that he would take the class from, then frequently the drysuit class is essentially a gimmie if he is willing to put in the time and the checkout dives. I think facetime with a LDS that you like in order to build a relationship is always a good thing.

by the LDS and I think I'm getting as good a deal as I could expect on a DUI TLS350 Signature Series. Just so happens that the guy that owns the LDS is a GUE instructor and I am very confident in learning from him.

:thumb:

ibnygator once bubbled...
Just so happens that the guy that owns the LDS is a GUE instructor and I am very confident in learning from him.

:thumb:

Are you talking about Bob Sherwood?

and I was only away for one day...

O-ring: I'm next to try that limited vis mask. Didn't know they made such a thing but if it works I want/need one!

ibnygator: 10 mil torso should be fine. You'll probably feel the cold in your hands or head first. Hot water in the gloves helps for a little while. Don't worry, you'll be fine. Some of us old folks were ice diving before the first Unisuit came over here from Sweden. That was cold!!!

Aaron: Nothing wrong with neoprene suits (I'll be the one in the Bare 7 mil) you just have to get LP steel doubles and a SS backplate. :wink:

TheRookMan once bubbled...
ibnygator: 10 mil torso should be fine. You'll probably feel the cold in your hands or head first. Hot water in the gloves helps for a little while. Don't worry, you'll be fine....

I expect to feel a little bit of cold, but if you never try anything, how the hell do you know?! Besides, it has been said a few times earlier in this thread...even if the dives are short, I'm really looking forward to putting faces with avatars and getting to know folks.

:wink:

ibnygator once bubbled...
I'm really looking forward to putting faces with avatars and getting to know folks.

At the risk of stating the obvious (and if you have read more than 10% of this thread, this should REALLY be obvious), this get together is really about just meeting one another, having some drinks, telling some lies, and having some laughs...

Yes, of course there will be diving, but you shouldn't feel like you're not going to have a good time if you only want to do one dive. There are going to be plenty of non-divers there (my wife, for one) and the evening activities will easily make up for the rest of the day...

Come one and come all...this is about fun first and diving second...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom